Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallelisms in Peshitta
Can anyone list some examples of the different types of parallelisms found int he Peshitta NT. Semitic parallelisms known as synonymous, antithetic, synthethic, climactic (as with synthetic), chiastic, and palillogical are requested but especially synthetic. Thanks in advance.

Any of these types of parallelisms, that are not mere quotations form the Old Testament, should lend proof to Aramaic Primacy since they are foreign to Greek poetry.

Keith
Keith Wrote:Can anyone list some examples of the different types of parallelisms found int he Peshitta NT. Semitic parallelisms known as synonymous, antithetic, synthethic, climactic (as with synthetic), chiastic, and palillogical are requested but especially synthetic. Thanks in advance.

Any of these types of parallelisms, that are not mere quotations form the Old Testament, should lend proof to Aramaic Primacy since they are foreign to Greek poetry.

Keith

Shlama Keith,

there are all kinds present in the Peshitta. one i ran across that i thought of much interest is a chiasmus found in 1 Peter 5:9-10. follows is my personal translation and then the explanation of the chiasm.

9 Therefore, you must stand to oppose him, while you are established in the trust, and you must recognize that even concerning your brothers that are in the world, these exact sufferings are occurring.
10 Yet the Alaha of goodness - He that called us to His eternal glory by the hand of Eshu? M?sheekha, who gives to us while we endure these minor afflictions - shall establish and make us stand in Him for eternity.

The basic structure looks something like this: A-B-C-D-C-B-A. In this passage, the structure is as follows:

A. stand to oppose
B. establish in trust
C. recognize that brothers suffer
D. Alaha of goodness who called us by Eshu?
C. gives us to endure (sufferings)
B. will establish us
A. makes us stand
When compared to the Greek texts, this chiastic form is absent. Such a structure does not appear without considerable effort, and so the appearance of one of the complexity shown above is very notable. The presence of this in the Peshitta and its subsequent absence in the Greek is a strong indication that the Greek is a translation of the Aramaic.

hope that helps!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Jeremy,

That was terrific. On a related subject, I wonder if there are examples of parallelism in the Western Five (2+3 John, Jude, 2 Peter, and the Revelation). If there are then this would lend credence to the idea that they too were originally written in a Semitic language like Aramaic.

Keith
Sure there is lots of evidence about the 5 books.

Here for example for the book 2 Peter:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3504">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3504</a><!-- l -->