Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Born Again or Born From Above?
Younan and Lamsa both translate it as "Born again", while Victor Alexander translates it as "Born from above". The Greek and Aramaic behind "Born again" can be translated either as "Born again" or "Born from above".

Here is Lamsa's translation:

"Jesus answered, saying to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If a man is not born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said to him, How can an old man be born again? Can he enter again a second time into his mother's womb and be born? Jesus answered, saying to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If a man is not born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. What is born of flesh is flesh and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be surprised because I have told you that you all must be born again."- John 3:3-7

Lamsa has a footnote on verse 3 that says, "Born again in Northern Aramaic means to change one's thoughts and habits. Nicodemus spoke Southern Aramaic and hence did not understand Jesus."

Alexander's translation:

'Eashoa replied and said to him, "Amen, amen, I say to you, if [the] human [being] is not born from above, they cannot see the kingdom of Allaha." Nicodemus said to him, "How can an old man get born, how can he enter his mother's womb a second time, to become born [again?]" Eashoa replied and said to him, "Amen, amen, I am telling you, if [the] human [being] is not born from the waters and the Spirit, they cannot enter the kingdom of Allaha. Whoever is born from flesh, is of the flesh, and whoever is born of the Spirit, is of the Spirit. Do not be surprised that [they] tell you, that it is expected of you to be born from above."'- John 3:3-7

Alexander's footnote on verse 3 is, "Lit. Ar. id.: 'From the head," or "again".'

Younan's translation (Lataster "Plain English"):

"Yeshua answered and said to him, Truly, truly I say to you, that if a man is not born again, he is not able to see the Kingdom of God. Niqodemus said to him, "How is it possible to enter the womb of his mother the second time and be born?" And Yeshua answered and said to him, Truly, truly I say to you, that if a man is not born from water and spirit, he is not able to enter into the kingdom of God. The thing, which is born from flesh, is flesh, and the thing, which is born from spirit, is spirit. Do not marvel that I have said to you that it is necessary for you to be born again."- John 3:3-7

Younan's footnote on verse 3: 'Literally, ?From the start (over again).?'

I decided to use "From the start", since Paul Younan is not only a native speaker of Aramaic, but also the most reliable of the three translator-wise. I was just wondering if anyone has any good arguments for "Born from above" or not. I just want to make this as accurate as possible.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by Thirdwoe - 06-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by ScorpioSniper2 - 06-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by Thirdwoe - 06-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by Thirdwoe - 06-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by Thirdwoe - 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by distazo - 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Re: Born Again or Born From Above? - by Thirdwoe - 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM