Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name hope vs. islands law
It's good that we have Samaritan Pentateuch to find out the truth. IPostapyuk, Can you do a favor for me? Is there anyway to find out what Samaritan Pentateuch says on Exodus 6:20?
Here you go (Samaritan Pentateuch):
Exodus 6:20
And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses and Miriam their sister: and the years of the life of Amram [were] an hundred and thirty and six years.

Also, you may look here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://sites.google.com/site/interlinearpentateuch/online-samaritan-pentateuch-in-english">https://sites.google.com/site/interline ... in-english</a><!-- m -->
and photocopy of SP in Paleo Hebrew manuscript here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-01846/32">http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-01846/32</a><!-- m -->
plus I sent you some more ...
Thank you, Ivan. That's interesting. It looks like Samaritan Pentateuch agrees with Hebrew Masoretic Text here. But ancient OT documents like Peshitta Tanakh and Septuagint disagree with Samaritan Pentateuch and Hebrew Masoretic Text. Even Wycliffe's translation agrees with Peshitta Tanakh and Septuagint.

Exodus 6:20 (Samuel Bagster & Sons' Translation from Septuagint) - "And Ambram took to wife Jochabed the daughter of his father's brother, and she bore to him both Aaron and Moses, and Mariam their sister; and the years of the life of Ambram were a hundred and thirty-two years.?

Here is a link to check this information - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ecmarsh.com/lxx/Exodus/index.htm">http://ecmarsh.com/lxx/Exodus/index.htm</a><!-- m -->

Exodus 6:20 (George Lamsa?s translation of Peshitta Tanakh)- "And Amram took his uncle?s daughter Jokhaber, and she bore him Aaron, Moses, and Miriam; and the years of the life of Amram were a hundred and thirty-seven years."

Lamsa wrote "uncle?s daughter? instead of writing the daughter of his father's brother. Aramaic word Doda is Uncle on father's side.

Let?s also look at John Wycliffe?s translation.

Exodus 6:20 (John Wycliffe?s translation) ? ?Forsothe Amram took a wijf, Jocabed, douytir of his fadris brother, and sche childide to hym Aaron, and Moises, and Marie; and the yeeris of lijf of Amram weren an hundred and seuene and thretti.?

Here is a link - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wesley.nnu.edu/fileadmin/imported_site/biblical_studies/wycliffe/Exo.txt">http://wesley.nnu.edu/fileadmin/importe ... fe/Exo.txt</a><!-- m -->

Compared to Peshitta Tanakh and Wycliffe?s translation, the difference with Septuagint is that it says the years of the life of Ambram were a hundred and thirty-two years.

Peshitta Tanakh and Wycliffe?s translation only agree with Hebrew Masoretic Text on Ambram?s age.
Quote:Peshitta Tanakh and Wycliffe?s translation only agree with Hebrew Masoretic Text on Ambram?s age.
What is Wycliffe?s translation?
John Wycliffe is the first Englishman to translate the Bible (old manuscripts) into English in 14th century AD. Wycliffe Bible (a.k.a Wycliffe translation) is the work of John Wycliffe.
Just trying to understand bias of the variations.

There are speculations that the antichrist produced the Masoretic text to
remove prophecies about our Lord Jesus Christ. It is logical but no
proof. Also, the antichrist is hiding the Dead Sea Scrolls from public view,
logically admitted, because of exposure of their tampering of the Masoretic text.

Second speculations that Zorba changed Septuagint to fit Greek NT.
Also logical, especially taking into account many corrupted Greek NT versions.
But this speculation is also without any proof.

Now, what is point for Samaritan Pentateuch to be altered? I do not see logic here.
They preserved even old Canaanite letters that means that they took great care
about the text.
I agree with you that there is no reason for a samaritan pentateuch translator to alter the script. I think Samaritan Pentateuch translator may have "accidentally misread" Bart Dodeh as father's sister instead of Uncle's Daughter while translating from Aramaic Peshitta Tanakh into Hebrew since Aramaic was the language of Israel from 540 BC to 130 AD. This error can "accidentally" happen due to the fact that Doda is an uncle on father's side just like the scribe made the mistake by accidentally misreading kaparthon as kadarthon.
I am reading a book called "Two Bibles - two ways" in pdf format.
It says about Masoretic text and the Septuagint.
The author did thorough calculations of Bible chronology.
So, it appears that according to Septuagint the Babylonian captivity started
5500 - 4913 = 587 years B.C.
but according to Masoretic text:
3753 - 3527 = 226 years B.C.
Masoretic chronology does not correspond to the world history.
I have to go with Septuagint calculation. It makes far more sense than masoretic calculation. With Masoretic text chronology, it doesn't make any sense. Alexander the Great came centuries after Nebudchadnezzar.

Ivan, I thought I should share this information. Below book (Jewish Wars Six in Aramaic) is the last book of Peshitta Tanakh. But I am using a translation from Greek for easier access.

Jewish Wars Book VI, Chapter X, Section 1 (Entire)

That Whereas The City Of Jerusalem Had Been [Six] Times Taken Formerly, This Was The Second Time Of Its Desolation. A Brief Account Of Its History
1. And thus was Jerusalem taken, in the second year of the reign of Vespasian, on the eight day of the month Gorpieus [Elu]. It had been taken five times before, though this was the second time of its desolation ; for Shishak, the king of Egypt, and after his Antiochus, and after him Pompey, and after him Sosius and Herod took the city, but still preserved it; but before all these, the king of Babylon conquered it, and made it desolate, one thousand four hundred and sixty-eight years and six months after it was built. But he who first built it was a potent man among the Canaanites, and is in our tongue called [Melchizedek] the Righteous King, for such he really was; on which account he was [there] the first priest of God, and first built a temple, [there,] and called the city Jerusalem, which was formerly called Salem. However, David, the king of the Jews, ejected the Canaanites, and settled his own people therein. It was demolished entirely by the Babylonians, four hundred and seventy-seven years and six months after him. And from king David, who was the first of the Jews who reigned therein, to this destruction under Titus, were one thousand one hundred and seventy-nine years; but from its first building, till this last destruction, were two thousand one hundred and seventy-seven years; yet hath not its great antiquity, nor its vast riches, nor the diffusion of its nation over all the habitable earth, nor the greatness of the veneration paid to it on a religious account, been sufficient to preserve it from being destroyed. And thus ended the siege of Jerusalem.
Thanks, konway87.
You posted really great information.
Those who are interested in the calculations, this will be big help
for them.
---------------------------------------------------------
Dr. James Murdock's English Peshitta translation:
Acts 7:14 - And Joseph sent and brought is father Jacob, and all his family; and they were in number seventy and five souls.

Complete Jewish Bible:
Ex.1:5 All told, there were seventy descendants of Ya'akov; Yosef was already in Egypt.

Septuagint:
Ex. 1:5 - But Joseph was in Egypt. And all the souls born of Jacob were seventy-five.

Samaritan Pentateuch:
Ex. 1:5 - And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob they were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt [already].

Ceriani Veteris Testamentum:
I agree. David ruled for 40 years.

In 2 Samuel 5:4 (ESV)- "David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years." The first temple was destroyed 477 and a half years after David.

What I love about Josephus is his historical approach in his writing. Aside from NT, He is one of the few who historically testifies the existence of Jesus Christ.
Quote:In 2 Samuel 5:4 (ESV)
What is ESV?
I was just using English Standard Version (ESV) for easier access. I will use Lamsa translation of Peshitta Tanakh.

2 Samuel 5:4 (Lamsa Translation of Peshitta Tanakh) - "David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years."
Hello Ivan,
I just checked Psalms 16:10 (Lamsa translation of Peshitta Tanakh) - "For thou hast left not my soul in Sheol; neither hast thou suffered thy Holy One to see corruption."
By the way, chronology of Masoretic text, Septuagint and Samaritan Pentateuch
are all very different between themselves.