Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question from a beginner
Hi

I beg your pardon for my question is very naive, compared to the level of the forum, but I am a very beginner.

In the syriac litterature and pubblications, is more used Serto or Estrangelo?

Thanks

Alberto
I think they probably use Estrangelo more now, it's also the font in which the oldest Peshitta manuscripts are written in.
As far as I know, Serto is the standard in academic use, such as for publishing critical editions.

bar Sinko
So it could be good to begin studying also in a Grammar written in Serto?

Alberto
If you want to study The Aramaic New Testament Scriptures Text, in the ancient Manuscripts, you will need to get to know the Estrangela script, which is what they are written in.

The best place online to study the actual Text, is a <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.Dukhrana.com">www.Dukhrana.com</a><!-- w -->

Shlama,
Chuck
Obviously my main interest is in reading the New Testament, but I am probably going to publish (better: to help pubblishing) a work in Serto and so I am forced to begin from it.
Do you think it's difficult to learn Estrangelo after you have learned the grammar in Serto? Are there also syntactic and morphological differences?

Alberto

Ps: thoug I am unexperienced in the syriac language, I find this forum very nice and you are all very kind to answer me.
Alberto,

As far as I know, the language is the same in terms of grammar. The difference is script and pronunciation of that script.

The consonant letters map one-to-one between Estrangelo and Serto. The difference between the two scripts is in the vowels, which were developed centuries after Christ. Serto manuscripts will invariably use Western (Jacobite) vowel points, basically A, E, I, O, and U written above the consonants (using a Spanish-like pronunciation), thus distinguishing five vowels, whereas manuscripts in Estrangelo or the Eastern script will use Eastern vowel points, which distinguish seven vowels (ah, eh, ee, ih, uh, oh, oo, imagine English pronunciation). The vowels map to one another in a way that is not one-to-one and maybe not what one would expect at first. A = uh, E = eh or ih, I = ee, O = ah, U = oh or oo. In addition, there are some differences about when consonants are pronounced soft or hard, depending on the dialect, but these differences are minor issues.

I think it would be helpful to learn Estrangelo, even if your primary use will be in Serto. The Estrangelo letters are an older form, so it may help to see how those evolved to their Serto forms. Or, maybe I just find this sort of thing fascinating.

bar Sinko
Thanks for your explanation.

Me too, I find this sort of things fascinating. If this work in Serto goes on, it will be interesting too, to see the evolution from Biblical aramaic and Palestinian aramaic (which I have already studied) to Syriac.

Regards.

alberto
Thirdwoe wrote
Quote:The best place online to study the actual Text, is a <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.Dukhrana.com">www.Dukhrana.com</a><!-- w -->
This website has a problem.
Their eastern pronunciation is wrong.