Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The word "Torah": Hebrew to Aramaic
Q: How would one render the Hebrew word "Torah" into Biblical Aramaic? And how would the word be transliterated and pronunced in English?

Shlama,
Chuck
Shlama,

the easy part is it already exists in the Peshitta NT: 'OORATA. it comes from the same root of YARAH that TORAH is formed from in the Hebrew. it basically is a directional verb-turned-noun, as in "pointing" / "instructing" / "referring."

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Thanks, Jeremy...What's a good NT verse that has it?

Why is the word "Namusa" everywhere, where it speaks of Torah or the Law? Even in the Peshitta OT, which is said to be translated from the Hebrew, but "Namusa", seems to me to come from the Greek word "Nomos", almost a transliteration of it. Unless I'm mistaken.

Shlama,
Chuck
Hi Third,

I think it is because 'namusa' is the way Syriac speakers addressed it.
IN Matthew, you find 3 times a Judaic Aramaic word 'orayta', because Matthew was said to be written in Judaic dialect.
Yea, just three times in the NT...and just in Matthew alone right? Unless I missed some. But at least 6 times "Numasa" is used in Matthew as well. 5:17-18, 7:12, 22:35-36, and 23:23. And is the term that is mostly used throughout the NT. This being a Greek loan word, right?
distazo Wrote:Judaic Aramaic word 'orayta'

Indeed, that'd be the word that was most used in Judea and Galilee.

It was also a little point of contention as the word /taurah/ in Jewish Aramaic of the era meant "bull" and those dialects that didn't preserve the diphthong (pronouncing it /torah/, like the Hebrew Torah) quirked some eyebrows. :-)

The Greek loan never really caught on in Jewish dialects as "Torah." /nymws/ tended to lean towards the meaning "custom" instead, unless in the context of a Jew from the Diaspora.
Thirdwoe Wrote:Yea, just three times in the NT...and just in Matthew alone right? Unless I missed some. But at least 6 times "Numasa" is used in Matthew as well. 5:17-18, 7:12, 22:35-36, and 23:23. And is the term that is mostly used throughout the NT. This being a Greek loan word, right?

Shlama Akhi Chuck,

The loan word is found outside the NT, as well. For instance, in the Palestinian Targum and Targum Neofiti, and even in isolated Aramaic dialects like Mandean.

+Shamasha