Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic Text of Revelation Forms Sword and Staff on a Map
distazo Wrote:Greg,

How do you deal with this verse?

Revelation 1:4
It explicitly states that the 7 congregations are in Asia.
Now to position Pargama in Cyprus, would cause a contradiction with 1:4. ???
Not?

Regards

Thanks for your question, distazo.

Geographers confirm Asia includes the middle east -- both historically and today, Cyprus has been considered by government authorities and mapping authorities to be part of Asia and/or Europe. In this manner it has been called the 'land of paradox', and I'll venture that dichotomy fits logically with the symbolism and unveiling of this sword and staff image. Consider also that the Aramaic text of Revelation provides two 'different' names for this assembly: "prgmus" (Pergamus) in Revelation 1:11, and "prgma" (Pergama) in Revelation 2:12. It seems to me that the text is literally inviting us to contrast different places/theories. This brings us again to the greater concept of probability.

[Image: two-slit-experiment-photon.jpg]

An important clue to the location of this assembly is found in Revelation 2:13, "I know where you inhabit, the place of the throne of Satan". This verse is telling us that Yahshua knows the location and meaning here. Personally, I just know that searching out the mystery is fascinating. For example, is 'kursih stna' referring only to Satan the dragon, or might we also be able to interpret it with introspection as a 'throne of accusation'?

If not for the reference in Revelation 1:4 to the assembly being in Asia, as you correctly pointed out, we could broaden the search to an even wider geographic area. I could then theorize the throne of Satan to be located in the city state of Rome, the seat of the murderous papacy; or perhaps the city state of London, whose symbol is the red dragon. I think Cyprus and/or Mt. Hermon are the best candidates though, in Asia, based on the information available. In any case, the Book of Revelation has more dimensions than appear visible to us at first. As an example, remember how the angel in Revelation 11:8 describes the one place with two names where "their Lord was crucified" (ayka d mrhun aztlb) - it is described as "the city great that is called spiritually Sodom and Egypt" (mdynta rbta ayda d mtqrya ruknayt sdum u mzryt).

Another example: many Christians have stumbled in presuming there is a contradiction in the translated text of John 1:28 (Bethany and the crossing of the Jordan). But a reading of the literal Aramaic text, letter-for-letter, unlocks the logic of the text and opens up new possibilities.

[Image: feynman1.png]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Aramaic Text of Revelation Forms Sword and Staff on a Ma - by gregglaser - 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM