Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syriac Conversational Phrases
shlomo,

It's been a while since I last posted here, but I think you'll like the following link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://archive.org/details/SyriacConversationalPhrases">http://archive.org/details/SyriacConversationalPhrases</a><!-- m -->
Is that the modern Western form of Aramaic? with all the "o"s instead of the "a"s...? I think its called Suroyo or something like that right?

Shlama,
Chuck
shlomo Chuck,

The document is written in Classical Eastern Aramaic.

From Eastern Aramaic you have: Syriac (Western) and Syriac (Eastern) -- They are written grammatically the same and have the same vocabulary, except for minor pronunciation differences and some added local vocabulary.

Syriac (Western) uses the long "O"; suryoyo
Syriac (Eastern) uses the long "A"; suryaya

The pronunciation in the document is according to the Syriac Maronite usage, and is in the Classical Eastern Aramaic - Syriac (Western). The Syriac Maronites only use the classical, for both Church and day-to-day.

The Assyrian/Chaldean use Classical Eastern Aramaic - Syriac (Eastern) in Church; and they use swadhaya (Modern Eastern Syriac(Aramaic)) as their day-to-day language
The Syriac Orthodox/Catholic use Classical Eastern Aramaic - Syriac (Western) in Church; and they use turoyo (Modern Western Syriac(Aramaic)) as their day-to-day language
Thirdwoe Wrote:Is that the modern Western form of Aramaic? with all the "o"s instead of the "a"s...? I think its called Suroyo or something like that right?

Shlama,
Chuck

All Syriac is Eastern Aramaic. The entire family and all of its subdialects.

Despite the misnomer, Western Classical Syriac's a-class vowels tend to fall on the spectrum of a <-> o rather than a <-> ? as Eastern Classical Syriac does.

(Aramaic "directional" misnomers can be quite confusing. For example, the dialect Tal is a Western subdialect of Assyrian Neo-Aramaic, which in and of itself is a Central, Northeastern dialect of Eastern Aramaic. :-) )