Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew New Testament by Franz Delitzch
I know this obviously isn't Peshitta, but since Aramaic and Hebrew are so closely related, I thought I'd put this out there. Has anyone ever studied Fran Delitzch's Hebrew New Testament and compared it with the Peshitta or Peshitto? I'm planning on getting it and a translation of the Delitzch Gospels that they have out.
I believe you are speaking about the ones being marketed by FFOZ, right? I looked into purchasing these editions of the Gospels just recently but then I began to see reviews here and there that they are not a scholarly reference but more of a witnessing tool for conversion of Jews to Christianity and/or Messianism rather than an accurate rendering of true Aramaic sources as they are based on Greek texts alone. I hope I am not speaking out of line here, does anyone have any real proof, having examined the Delitzch Gospels?

I should hasten to add that these were unverified reviews and I have not had the time to search out the vailidity of these claims being made about them.
Vine of David sells translations of the Delitzch Hebrew Gospels, so those are the ones I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure Delitzch translated from Greek though.
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:I know this obviously isn't Peshitta, but since Aramaic and Hebrew are so closely related, I thought I'd put this out there. Has anyone ever studied Fran Delitzch's Hebrew New Testament and compared it with the Peshitta or Peshitto? I'm planning on getting it and a translation of the Delitzch Gospels that they have out.

I have a copy of the Delitzch's Hebrew Gospels that First Fruits of Zion sell in their website. I can say that the editorial design is supreme, you have the Hebrew in one side and English in the other side. The translation was made by Frank Delitzch from the Greek, trying to render a classical Hebrew reading, similar to the Tanakh. The Hebrew Gospels didn't correct some issues from the Greek text like the "camel/rope" in Matthew 19:24 and other verses that the Aramaic Peshitta Text correct from the Greek reading. The translation read really similar to a Greek translation but with the difference that the translation have some Hebraic words inserted to give a better rendering into the culture.
I'm planning on getting it at some point. It looks superb!
I made a mistake, I said that in one side was Hebrew and the other Aramaic. One side is English and the other is Hebrew. My suggestion is to find the entire Hebrew Delitzch New Testament instead of only having the gospels.
I found a full Hebrew Bible with Delitszch's New Testament. I'll probably still get the Hebrew Gospels though!