Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr. Lamsa's Theology
I will put the mentioned parts in bold type.

II Kings 6:1-6, The Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text: "And the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, Behold now, this place wherein we dwell with you is too small for us. Let us go to the Jordan and cut from there every man a beam, and let us make a place for us to dwell there. And he said, Go. And one of them answered and said, If you please, go with your servants. And he answered, I will go. So he went with them. And when they came to the Jordan, they cut down trees. But as one of them was felling a beam, the axehead fell into the water; and he cried and said, I beseech you, my lord! It was borrowed by your servant. And the prophet of God said to him, Where did it fall? And he showed him the place. And he cut off a stick and thrust it in there; and it stuck in the hole of the axehead."

II Kings 6:1-6, Young's Literal Translation: "And sons of the prophet say unto Elisha,`Lo, we pray thee, the place where we are dwelling before thee is too strait for us; let us go, we pray thee, unto the Jordan, and we take thence each one beam, and we make for ourselves there a place to dwell there;' and he saith, `Go.' And the one saith, `Be pleased, I pray thee, and go with thy servants;' and he saith, `I -- I go.' And he goeth with them, and they come in to the Jordan, and cut down the trees, 5 and it cometh to pass, the one is felling the beam, and the iron hath fallen into the water, and he crieth and saith, `Alas! my lord, and it asked!' And the man of God saith, `Whither hath it fallen?' and he sheweth him the place, and he cutteth a stick, and casteth thither, and causeth the iron to swim..."

Micah 5:2, The Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text: "And you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you are little among the thousands of towns of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth a ruler to govern Israel; whose goings forth have been predicted from of old, from eternity."

Micah 5:2, Young's Literal Translation: " And thou, Beth-Lehem Ephratah, Little to be among the chiefs of Judah! From thee to Me he cometh forth -- to be ruler in Israel, And his comings forth [are] of old, From the days of antiquity."

I'm not sure if these are textual variances between the Peshitta Tanakh and the Masoretic Tanakh or not, but it is a little suspicious that none of these readings have ever been adopted by any other translation that I have ever seen (and I've read a lot). I also know Lamsa had a tendency to at times delve into interpretation. I used the Young's for comparison because it is probably the most literal translation of the Bible ever done, and also because I don't have access to another Peshitta Old Testament.

Messages In This Thread
Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by The Texas RAT - 10-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by Thirdwoe - 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by Didem - 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by Thirdwoe - 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by ograabe - 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Re: Dr. Lamsa's Theology - by ScorpioSniper2 - 11-08-2012, 03:37 AM