Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translations Compared: Eastern or Western?
The issue is though, that so many of them spoke so many different languages (especially in Corinth) that it wouldn't make since for Paul to write in a language that not everyone could understand. He would have used a language more commonly spoken among the people. If there were Jews in the congregations (which I'm sure there were also) they probably would have been Hellenist Jews. If James was written to Jews in Israel, I wouldn't have much doubt of it being in Aramaic (but we aren't for sure if he is talking about the children of Israel in Israel or scattered among the Gentiles). When Alexander the Great conquered Palestine, the official language was Greek, even though it was probably spoken among the Middle-Eastern people. You then had the Romans take over sometime after Alexander and they spoke mainly Latin and Greek, so the more common language of the time in the known world would have been koine (common) Greek. Paul was born in Tarsus, where Greek would have been the common language. It's obvious from the Bible that Paul also spoke Aramaic and possibly Hebrew. With him going on so many missionary journeys throughout Europe, I don't see how he couldn't have been a Greek speaker.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Translations Compared: Eastern or Western? - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM