Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translations Compared: Eastern or Western?
:
Here is how he seems to have done it...for these verses anyway.

Matthew 26:34: ?Jesus said to him, ?Truly I say to you, in this night before rooster crows three times, you will deny me.? -Magiera

Mark 14:30: ?Jesus said to him, ?Truly I say to you, today in this night, before the rooster will crow two times, you will deny me three [times].? -Magiera

Luke 22:34: ?Jesus said to him, ?I say to you, Simon, that the rooster will not crow today before you insist three times that you do not know me.? -Magiera

John 13:38: ?Jesus said to him, 'Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow until you deny me three times.'? -Magiera

The Diatessaron: ?(all-->Jesus said unto him, (John-->Wilt thou give up thy life for me? Verily, verily, (all-->I say unto thee, (all-->Thou shalt (Mark-->to-day, Matt-->during Mark & Matt-->this night, (all-->before the cock crow (Mark-->twice, (all-->three times deny me, that thou knowest me not.?

So, he did use all four Gospels, but left out "Simon", that is found in Luke.

If you notice closely, both Matthew and Mark say the same thing as to what point during the roster crowing he would deny Christ three times. It was to be "before a roster will crow three times" (Matt) and "before the roster will crow twice" (Mark). While both Luke and John have it stated that "a roster will not crow until you deny me three times"

Tatian went with what Matthew and Mark agree with, as to what point he denied Christ three times. The Greek Matthew is not the same wording as The Peshitta there, which matches more with Luke and John.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Translations Compared: Eastern or Western? - by Thirdwoe - 02-11-2013, 05:08 AM