Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translations Compared: Eastern or Western?
Hi Chuck,
my question is why replaced the Peshitta the 4 gospel version so late (5th century) in the Syriac/Aramaic churches?
By the way for me is the Peshitta very useful to understand the teachings of Yeshua better and solves a lot of contradictions in the many different Greek versions, that is the important point for me, not if the NT was first written in Aramaic ( it looks like that, for me as well for good reasons) or not!
Chuck what do you say to this:
From an exhaustive study of the quotations in the earliest Syriac Fathers, and, in particular, of the works of Ephraem Syrus, Professor Burkitt concludes that the Peshitta did not exist in the 4th century. He finds that Ephraem used the Diatessaron in the main as the source of his quotation, although "his voluminous writings contain some clear indications that he was aware of the existence of the separate Gospels, and he seems occasionally to have quoted from them.Such quotations as are found in other extant remains of Syriac literature before the 5th century bear a greater resemblance to the readings of the Curetonian and the Sinaitic than to the readings of the Peshitta. Internal and external evidence alike point to the later and revised character of the Peshitta.

Kind regards
Michael

Messages In This Thread
Re: Translations Compared: Eastern or Western? - by mickoy - 02-03-2013, 08:41 PM