Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name of bishop of nineveh?
Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the bishop that was on the colophon in the khabouris codex. I see he was bishop of nineveh in 165 just wanted to know his name so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks Mike
:

I don't think it's known who the Bishop is, or even what years he was serving God's Church. Unless I'm mistaken, the Colophon does not state either the year the Khabouis was approved/Signed by this Bishop of Nineveh, or gives his name. Paul Younan says that the statement about "the great persecution" 100 years before, may not refer to that of the 65 A.D. Neronian persecution, but a much later persecution of Church of the East Christians by a tyrant in their lands, 4th or 5th century if I remember right.

Shlama,
Chuck
Thirdwoe Wrote:Paul Younan says that the statement about "the great persecution" 100 years before, may not refer to that of the 65 A.D. Neronian persecution, but a much later persecution of Church of the East Christians by a tyrant in their lands, 4th or 5th century if I remember right.
Yup, here is a link to what he said,

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=889&p=5113&hilit=khabouris#p5113">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=889&p=5113&hilit=khabouris#p5113</a><!-- l -->
makemble Wrote:Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the bishop that was on the colophon in the khabouris codex. I see he was bishop of nineveh in 165 just wanted to know his name so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks Mike

Shlama Akhi Mike:
A little correction if you will. I erred and so have others in dating the Khabourus original manuscript to 100 years after the Roman Persecution 165 A.D. when it should be dated to to time of Constantine and the persecution of Persion King Sappur II. Sorry for the error. The date should be about 100 years before the persecution of Sappur II, putting it at about 225 A.D. So you should be looking at the particular (Bishop Shahlufa) around 225 A.D. If I am not grossly mistaken.

Shlama,
Stephen
Shamasha Paul Younn said:
Quote:The "Great Persecution" of the Church of the East began on Good Friday, 344 AD with the martyrdom of the Patriarch Mar Shimon bar-Sabbae, with 5 bishops and 100 elders of the church in the city of Susa....Mar Shimon being the last to die.

He also says that there's nothing in the Khabouris Colophon that speaks of "100 years after" (or before) the Great Persecution, but only that the source text copy, which the Khabouris was made from, was itself made "during" the great persecution, which is said to have lasted some 40 years, beginning on Good Friday 344 A.D. ...so 344 to 384 A.D. is the time frame that the source text of the Kahbouris was scribed. It may not be possible to nail down exactly which CoE Bishop signed that 4th century copy, doing so during those 40 years of the great persecution.

Shlama,
Chuck
Thank you for all your help to everyone the input has been exclent I have been studying aramaic now for a little while this all helps a bunch will have alot to study at sukkot now awsome.

Shalama w' burkate Mike