Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about Christ Jesus vs Jesus Christ
distazo Wrote:Hi All,

Thanks!
It looks like I'm asking about adding THE or even transliterion vs translation. It's not about that.

The question is:
Why does the Greek have so many times, ok, in English, Christ Jesus, but the PEshitta has it 5 times?

What made the translators do this?
Why does the Peshitt(a)/(o) make the flip 5 times?

Shlama akhi,

oh okay i see what you mean now. well, the best explanation i could give is what is known in the textual criticism realm as "expansion of peity," where a title is added to show respect for Deity by copyists along the way. i don't know if that is the actual reason, but amongst Greek copies of the NT, you will find that there are MANY variances where the Name is alone or accompanied with the title of CHRISTOS / KURIOS. this is within the corpus of the Greek manuscripts themselves, so it seems to have been something that went on quite a bit with the copyists. i am not aware of any of these "expansion" variations amongst Peshitta/Peshitto manuscripts. but i haven't done a study specific to that possibility, so it would bear further investigation for a hard answer, unless someone else can give an educated witness to this detail.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Re: What about Christ Jesus vs Jesus Christ - by Burning one - 09-29-2012, 04:47 PM