Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha
Chuck: Thanks for the response and questions. Here are a few of my thoughts. I am not a theologian or Bible scholar. I bow to superior wisdom and insight.
Regarding Psalms 68 I believe it is a ?psalm of procession? recounting the history of God?s workings with Israel from Sinai through to His enthronement in Jerusalem. Part of this psalm focuses on Mount Zion and the ascension specifically in verse 18. It was normal in ancient times for kings who staged elaborate victory processions to parade their conquered foes in chains as part of that process to exalt over/humiliate the opposition etc.
I happen to believe that Israel as a nation plays out a role that parallels a heavenly theme. Mashiach is identified so often with them, intertwined so to speak. Thus in Hosea chapter eleven, for example, the call out of Egypt clearly applies to Israel my son. We know from Matthew 2:15 that this verse applies to Yeshua as well. There are lots of other examples with which you are no doubt very familiar.
The parallel to the procession ascending to Mount Zion in Psalms 68 is Yeshua ascending to heaven. According to Paul in Ephesians 4:8 this represents both the triumph of the Resurrection but also the utter humiliation of His foes who are figuratively ?bound in chains? as part of the procession. I suppose the foes are death, sin etc. The divine king in Psalms 68 goes on to give gifts among men. These Paul connects with God?s providence to the Church. It is noteworthy that Paul only quotes half of the verse in Psalms 68:18. The last portion indicates ? ?that the LORD (YHWH) God may dwell there?. Then keep reading into verse 19? ?The God who is our Yeshuah (salvation)? Wow. Sounds a lot like Revelation 21 and 22, those majestic chapters concluding the last book of the Bible, and yet to come. Maranatha!
I don?t see how ?captivity? necessarily involves setting the dead free in Psalms 68:18 nor in Ephesians 4. The processional brings ?foes in chains? as the captives, not dead saints in my opinion. Others may disagree.
On to Acts 1:9. Not sure what specific viewpoint you have in mind. I think the verse simply says at face value that Yeshua was taken up into the clouds. Help me with richer insights.
For Hebrews 12:1 many Christians use this verse with its reference to ?witnesses? to support a theology that at death believers? souls go directly to heaven, where they enjoy the benefits of fellowship with other departed ones, worship God, walk the streets of gold etc. They also claim that these individuals are also aware of events and developments on earth and can ?cheer on? believers down here. The Roman Catholic church has a well developed ?understanding? of how this all occurs, with saints interceding for us, etc. To me the word witness would be better translated as ?testifier?. We have just concluded an entire chapter eleven in Hebrews reviewing the faith of these earlier martyrs. They serve as role models and examples, not personal coaches.
These are my own thoughts. I have no idea if the Churches of the East subscribe to the doctrine of the conscious existence of departed believers. I must say that the last two Christian funerals I attended had numerous references to the freedom and enjoyment that the recently departed now possessed?that they were encouraging (not simply that their lives were an encouragement). Yet Paul in 1 Thessalonians specifically and repeatedly refers to the departed as ?asleep? and that we look forward to the physical resurrection yet in the future. He even says we are expected to encourage one another with these words?.of certain HOPE. I ask why anyone would want to be resurrected with a body on earth when they are already enjoying heaven so much!! The Hebrew understanding (and I believe Paul?s) is that the resurrection is still future. Otherwise it's all Greek to me!

Messages In This Thread
Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by konway87 - 08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by distazo - 08-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by HSB - 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by HSB - 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by distazo - 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by HSB - 08-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by judge - 08-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by judge - 08-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by judge - 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by judge - 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Re: Second coming of Yeshua Meshikha - by HSB - 08-30-2012, 06:52 AM