Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistranslation Devarim Deuteronomy 5:9
According to...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.peshitta.org/pdf/ot/Deuteronomy.pdf">http://www.peshitta.org/pdf/ot/Deuteronomy.pdf</a><!-- m -->

5:9 'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am "jealous God", visiting the iniquity of the
fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

According to "Devarim" "Deuteronomy" verse 5:2 to 5:24 "God" taught us 10 Commandments which are morality & virtues guidance.
So I don't think "YHWH" definition = jealous = envy because that was disgrace & didn't make any sense.

"Yod-heh-Wah" with last "heh" is silent letter.
Last "H" definition "God"
YHW + H = Merited Grace "God" .

In my opinion,this is the correct one.

5:9 'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am "Merited Grace God", visiting the iniquity of the
fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

What is your opinion?
Well, why change the meaning? Isn't it obvious that He is jealous?

Even from Acts 5 it is clear that God does not like people to 'play' games with him, and that is my understanding of the word 'jealous'.

Jealous does not have to mean envy, but it also has the connotation of zealous.
Another issue is that the 10 commandments are for people. It is obvious that the ONe who creates law, is not subjected to it, however, God is not unjust, as if right is wrong and wrong is right.
What I mean to say. The creator of the Law is entitled to be jealous. Why should he allow other fake 'gods' to go between him and humanity?
Would you allow, if you are a good president who gives everything people want, to unknown people to start fake presidents to rule your people, kill them and demanding worship while they would riddicule you as former president?

Why don't we people just recognize that we simply are not entitled to say: "Well God, if you are truly great, you would not suffer from fake Gods, and allow us anything to do, even if it kills us..."
distazo Wrote:Well, why change the meaning? Isn't it obvious that He is jealous?
Agreed. He is jealous for us, meaning He does not want half of our heart, but all of our heart. Zealous for us is another way of putting (good call Distazo).

Ephesians 2:8-9 is clear that we don't earn His grace, so any concept of "merited grace" (however you came up with that) falls by the wayside.