Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Let no (pagan) therefore judge you..."
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:It seems abundantly clear that Christ is the fulfillment and goal/end of the Mosaic Torah (Matthew 5:17; Romans 10:4). I believe Paul still observed the Torah because of his Jewish heritage (Acts 18:8) and believed it to be holy, just and good (Romans 7:12), but he taught that the Torah was not created by YHWH for salvation, but to lead us to Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:24) and that it was not necessary for the Gentiles to keep, as evidenced by Paul's rebuke of Peter (Galatians 2:11-21).

Let me offer my two shekels worth in this discussion. When I look at the entire corpus of Scripture I see a slightly different picture.

Fulfill as I udnerstand it means to properly explain/amplify, which is what Messiah did not only by how He walked, but contextually the rest of the Sermon on the Mount magnifies the Torah as the prophet Isaiah puts it. Since Messiah kept Torah perfectly, the goal of Torh Observance is to be like Him. In Romans 6 Paul says we should nto continue to sin so that garce may abound (v.1), nor should we continue to sin because we are not subject to the penalties of breaking Torah (i.e. being "under Law") but under grace (recieving that which we don't deserve) (v.14-15). John defines sin in 1 John 3:4 as transgression of Torah (iniquity, or in Greek, lawlessness, which Thayers lists as breaking the (Mosaic) law) so Paul is actually telling us not to transgress Torah just because of God's grace. Those before Messiah came were looking towards the cross, we now are looking back at it. But our time here on earth still requires that we be a light to all men by living different from the world - that of the standards of God's righteousness as outlined in His law. Galatians 2:11-21 is simply making known the plain truth that no flesh is justified by Torah (whether Jew or Gentile) which has always been the truth; therefore, the Law, serving a different purpose, is still just as valid today so long as those confessing Yeshua as Messiah observe it by faith according to the teaching/custom/law (if you will) of Messiah (His "halacha"). Psalm 119 says all Torah laws are eternal, and Torah itself says you shall keep these things always. Forever. As a permaneant statute. But not for justification, as once again, this has never been the case (Israel was redeemed by faith from slavery FIRST, and then recieved Torah - Torah is not for an unsaved people but for a redeemed, justified people to live set-apart and be a light unto all men). To sum it up, consider what both Hillel and Messiah said - "Love the LORD and love your neighbour - upon these two laws hangs ALL of the Torah and the Prophets". The whole point of all of Torah is love. This is why John says "for this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments and His commandments are not burdensome" (1 John 5:3).

I think the message is clear. The context of the New Testament writings were often dealing with man-made laws/customs that were stumbling blocks and a twisting around of the God's truth. Take for example the enmity of the dividing wall in Ephesians 2:14, which was all about the additional "fence" (fragmos/syaga) laws that separated Jew and Gentile because Gentiles, according to them, were unclean and not to be associated with (even their place of residence). Yet Messiah's sacrifice made atonement for all (what God has cleansed do not call unclean Peter!), and this was evidenced by the giving of the Spirit to the Gentiles by faith also, forever changing history from that point on. But this of course has nothing to do with Mosaic/Torah Law as given by God for all of Israel (whether native born, sojourner or grafted in/brought near by the blood of Messiah). Colossians 2:16 is another such passage and Paul, playing the good pastoral role, is dealing with issues in his communities in order for them to be unified and thus allow them to carry out God's plans and purposes for them so that His righteousness and salvation can spread to the ends of the earth. You can't do that when you're divided over petty issues and cultural customs that are made powerless (i.e. shown to be false or wortjless) by the outpouring of the Spirit from Messiahs's sacrifice (which comes with better promises to help us further carry out those plans and purposes He has always had for His people).

But at this point it has become all a matter of perspective. The key is to determine the right one.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Let no (pagan) therefore judge you..." - by Luc Lefebvre - 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM