Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Let no (pagan) therefore judge you..."
Paul Younan Wrote:But taking it a step back again, I don't use the term pagan in this context, as a pagan would not even be in the assembly to begin with. It makes no sense whatsoever in this context.

Having established that, I've not heard of cases where the Gentile (not pagan) side judged the Jewish side for *not* eating pork, but it is certainly the case historically that the Jewish side has judged the Gentile side for their lack of dietary observation.
Yeah, I'm sure Roth got the idea from a Michael Rood episode called "Let no pagan judge you" where Rood makes a case for this talking about pagans judging the Body of Messiah. But as you say, contextually I don't see it referencing outsiders either (either of the beliving community or the non-believing Jewish side).

A thought that popped into my head though in terms of judgment regarding food is thinking back to Romans (and to a lesser extent, Corinthians) about vegetarian vs meat eating. I think this may legitamently be one issue that Paul was referencing. Other issues I think may be ideas/halacha concerning Sabbath, New Moons, etc. but not necessarily the plain observance of them in and of itself. But to make a supportive case for that would I think exceed the scope of this thread (and perhaps forum in general; I do apologize if I've stepped across the rule concerning theological discussion).

But I think we can all agree that inserting theological interpretations into the text should be avoided whenever possible. And it's these things which I think emphasizes the need for a peer reviewed, official translation/interlinear that is being spoken of here (especially for the sake of practical everyday use as opposed to in-depth critical study, which can be done with all the great resources that are available here, at Durkhana, through Janet Magiera's materials, etc.)

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Let no (pagan) therefore judge you..." - by Luc Lefebvre - 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM