Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bauscher Peshitta Translation
I think you meant in Matthew 13:42 & vs 50.

I don't see how David gets "essence" from the Aramaic word for "Furnace". He uses Jastrow's dictionary as justification. It seems David was digging around trying to find another word to use besides the word he didn't like "furnace"...but Jastrow also gives "density" and "intensiveness" as well...so why not those readings then?

Lets see how it would read using the three words Jastrow shows there... "vs 42,50 "And they will cast them into the density/intensiveness/essence of fire; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

I think 'intensiveness of fire" makes much more sense than "essence of fire". If we don't use the normal rendering of "the furnace of fire"

This looks to me like one of David's biases showing up here, since he does not believe in any eternal judgment of the wicked in fire.

In the Peshitta/Peshitto, the same Aramaic word is used only three times. Twice in (Matt 13:42,50) and once in (Rev 1:15) where David chose to translate the same Aramaic word he translated into English as "essence" in Matt, as "furnace" in Rev. So even he does not agree with himself on how the word should be translated into English.

But, if he was consistent with his translating and if having no doctrinal bias to cloud his judgment, then either the two verses in Matt would read "furnace" as it does in Rev, or the verse in Rev would read "essence" as it does in Matt...

It would thus read:

"And his feet were in the form of the brass of Lebanon, which is heated in a essence....

David, in a note in his Interlinear version, claims that the Aramaic word can also mean "the essence of a thing". Seems to me, he is trying to spin the verses to say what he wants them to mean.

David?

Messages In This Thread
Paul Phillip Levertoff - by Stephen Silver - 04-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Re: David Bauscher Peshitta Translation - by Thirdwoe - 06-16-2012, 04:56 AM