Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many original translators were there, approx
Tks Stephen. Yes, the Jews were scattered throughout the whole of the Roman Empire. This "dispersion" continued for several centures if I am not mistaken. Yes, as the Jews settled in communities like Rome, Corinth, Thessalonika, Alexandria and Ephesus they took their religion with them and built synogoges for worship. This is clear historical fact. The Jews were scattered throughout the whole Roman Empire and were faithful to a bulk of what we know as Judiasm (the main points: circumcision, keeping Sabbath, abstaining from unclean foods like pork; abstaining from blood; keeping the holy days and a couple other key Jewish traditions, I think). AND, as they were there they converted Gentiles as well into their religion and a good many Gentiles came to be "prosolytes" or G(d) fearers. This is where I believe the Greek Old TEstament Septuagint plays a key role. You have to keep in mind, Stephen, that, as the Jews "camped out" in the particular community in which they lived - after a couple of generations (and I think even after only the 2nd generation) they would have picked up or learned the local language of the region where they lived or the "street language" of their area. This had to be done by default and probably more by necessity; to do business and transact among the locales. I can not comprehend (and I do not think anyone else will either) or admit that the Gentiles (whether it be Rome, or Corinth, or Athens, or Thessalonika) felt the need to learn Aramaic of the day just to suit the Jews. It was the other way around as is witnessed to be the case anywhere else in the world and at any time. I mean, it is the foreigners who arrive and settle in a foreign land who learn the language of the country or region. English today is an excellent example. So, I believe and can attest to that the Jews (at least by the 2nd generation of the despersion) know Aramaic AND THE LANGUAGE OF THE COMMUNITY. How else would they do business and interact with those around them who did not know Aramaic?? And, in bringing Gentile converts into their religion there had to be a language that the Gentiles and the Jews knew to communicate the ways of the Jewish religion. We see this perfectly played out in the Septuagint Old Testament. The Greek LXX was the tool used (from the many sources and articles that I have read) to teach the Gentiles the Jewish religion. Why not look at Alexandria as a case in point?? It is an excellent example. Can we agree that Alexandria comprised the largest Jewish

Messages In This Thread
Re: How many original translators were there, approx - by Mike Kar - 03-01-2012, 11:07 PM