Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish Aramaic Primacist
Shlama,

i've recently been reading a short book called LOVE AND THE MESSIANIC AGE by Feivel Levertoff (Paul Philip was his Christian name), a Jewish man born in 1887, a relative of the prestigious Shneur Zalman - the first Lubavitcher Rebbe, and who was on his way to becoming a great rabbi himself, but who ended up coming to faith in the true Messiah through a series of very amazing events. he eventually joined the Church of England and began conducting the first "Messianic" services there - leading his congregation in the recitation of the Shema, Hebrew prayers and songs, and the reading of the Torah during weekly meetings. very interesting fella. he saw no dichotomy between Judaism and Christianity, but sought a unity of the two.

anyhow, to my point. reading today, i came across this in one of his footnotes:

Quote:...Ezekiel 47:12 is often used to bring out the idea of the cosmic redemption in the future eon. It is probable that John 7:37-38 refers to this same passage and that instead of EK TES KOILIAS ["from the innermost being"] we have to read EK TOU THRONOU ["from the throne"] (the Aramaic kursayeh, "his throne" instead of karseh, "his belly").
pg. 40, footnote 46

so while he wasn't promoting Peshitta primacy, since "his belly" is intact in the Peshitta, he WAS promoting the idea of an Aramaic original, and his thoughts here suggest that the Greek translator misunderstood the Aramaic and brought across a faulty reading -- things that we see happen all the time from Aramaic to Greek! for someone who was well-versed in Biblical and Talmudic Hebrew and Aramaic, as well as Greek, he could obviously see that there was something not quite right about the idea of a Greek original. man, i'd love to have spoken with this fella and have him take a serious look at the Peshitta!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Burning one Wrote:Shlama,

i've recently been reading a short book called LOVE AND THE MESSIANIC AGE by Feivel Levertoff (Paul Philip was his Christian name), a Jewish man born in 1887, a relative of the prestigious Shneur Zalman - the first Lubavitcher Rebbe, and who was on his way to becoming a great rabbi himself, but who ended up coming to faith in the true Messiah through a series of very amazing events. he eventually joined the Church of England and began conducting the first "Messianic" services there - leading his congregation in the recitation of the Shema, Hebrew prayers and songs, and the reading of the Torah during weekly meetings. very interesting fella. he saw no dichotomy between Judaism and Christianity, but sought a unity of the two.

Quote:...Ezekiel 47:12 is often used to bring out the idea of the cosmic redemption in the future eon. It is probable that John 7:37-38 refers to this same passage and that instead of EK TES KOILIAS ["from the innermost being"] we have to read EK TOU THRONOU ["from the throne"] (the Aramaic kursayeh, "his throne" instead of karseh, "his belly").
pg. 40, footnote 46

so while he wasn't promoting Peshitta primacy, since "his belly" is intact in the Peshitta, he WAS promoting the idea of an Aramaic original, and his thoughts here suggest that the Greek translator misunderstood the Aramaic and brought across a faulty reading -- things that we see happen all the time from Aramaic to Greek! for someone who was well-versed in Biblical and Talmudic Hebrew and Aramaic, as well as Greek, he could obviously see that there was something not quite right about the idea of a Greek original. man, i'd love to have spoken with this fella and have him take a serious look at the Peshitta!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Shlama Akhi Jeremy:
Great find. I agree that it would be helpful to see more of Feivel Levertoff (Paul Philip was his Christian name), a Jewish man born in 1887 as well as his colleagues of the same age. This seems to just predate the First Zionist Congress of Theodore Herzl in 1897, just ten years later and just 5 years after the May Laws were enacted in the Pale of Settlement in 1882. Thank you Akhi Kabiba.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Stephen Silver
Stephen Silver Wrote:
Burning one Wrote:Shlama,

pg. 40, footnote 46

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Shlama Akhi Jeremy:
Great find. I agree that it would be helpful to see more of Feivel Levertoff (Paul Philip was his Christian name), a Jewish man born in 1887 as well as his colleagues of the same age. This seems to just predate the First Zionist Congress of Theodore Herzl in 1897, just ten years later and just 5 years after the May Laws were enacted in the Pale of Settlement in 1882. Thank you Akhi Kabiba.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Stephen Silver

Shlama akhi,

very glad you liked!

here's a link to somewhat concise biography of the brother:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://messianicart.com/davar/articles/levertoff.pdf">http://messianicart.com/davar/articles/levertoff.pdf</a><!-- m -->

and here's a digitized copy of one of his works about the life of Paul the shliach (i'm sure this will be a gem!):
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=fyhAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false">http://books.google.com/books?id=fyhAAA ... &q&f=false</a><!-- m -->

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy