Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta Aramaic, Neo-Aramaic
I have question about how different are
Peshitta Aramaic from Neo-Aramaic.

The point is, for example:
Russia adopted Christianity in 988 while having Old Slavonic
language. The Bible in old Slavonic is still read among modern Russian speakers.
The difference between modern Russian and old Slavonic I
would roughly say: words meanings are same but the spell and pronunciations are
more or less changed. So, when I read old Slavonic, I understand
about 90% of it with no problem.

What is the difference between the Peshitta language
and Neo-Aramaic? I would like to hear it from the native
Neo-Aramaic speakers.
Thanks in advance.
Ivan.
Shlama Akhi Ivan,

There are many dialects of Neo-Aramaic, some are closer to the ancient tongue than others. However, all of them have differences with the Classical tongue in some way or another.

The major difference with Neo-Aramaic dialects vs. Ancient Aramaic is with the way verbs are conjugated. The Neo-Aramaic dialects are much more simplified in this regard. In other words the verbs are the same, the way they are conjugated (for example, in number, person or state) can be different. For instance, in Neo-Aramaic, there is a present tense whereas the ancient tongue had only two tenses (past and future).

Neo-Aramaic speakers/writers find that the classical tongue is much more refined, rigid, and difficult. The modern dialects are more like slang.

There have always been people who can read, and even compose, in the ancient tongue, even today. However, they typically will have studied the differences between the two for years in order to be proficient.

+Shamasha
Thank you, akhi Paul.
Slangs are Ok just like terms about new scientific achievements.
Conjugations are OK also just to make old Aramaic to be separated
and as model.
It is still good to read old works in original of church fathers, history etc.
Paul, may I ask You one more thing:
1. Are there a words that dropped some meanings and acquired new ones?
2. The transition to different conjugations happened at some
point of time or was it gradual?
3. Does COE represent only one dialect or many?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan.
Shlama Akhi Ivan,

IPOstapyuk Wrote:1. Are there a words that dropped some meanings and acquired new ones?

Of course.

And there are loanwords from other languages that replaced perfectly fine original Aramaic words. In some Neo-Aramaic dialects you will hear "Hakeem" (Arabic) or "Dukhtar" (English) for "doctor" ... even though classical Aramaic already has "Asya" (physician, cf. Matthew 9:12).

IPOstapyuk Wrote:2. The transition to different conjugations happened at some point of time or was it gradual?

Very gradual, and this continues today. Aramaic, if it survives another thousand years, will be different from today's Aramaic. If a language stops evolving, like Latin, then it means it is a dead language. Aramaic is a living language.

IPOstapyuk Wrote:3. Does COE represent only one dialect or many?

Many, too many. In one parish you may find tables eating after the service separated by dialects from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, etc. They all try to converse in what's referred to as "Koine Aramaic", which is a literary standard based on an Iranian dialect. But each tribe, and sometimes villages within the tribe, has it's own dialect.

That's one of the unfortunate realities of not having your own country, with an established educational authority that standardizes things like vocabulary and pronunciation.

+Shamasha