Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The letter from Shlichim and Elders (Acts 15:23)
I have yet to figure out how to square the Idea that the gift of tongues is only the ability to learn a known human language, with these verses below, which speak about the gift of tongues. Seems to me, if it were just known human languages, for use in evangelical work, then these verses would make little sense at all. And do we think that the Disciples in the upper room, had been learning all those languages they spoke with that Pentecost morning?

Paul speaks of this gift of tongues as being the language of the spirit, not the language of the mind, and its not said to be learned, or the mind would be fruitful in knowing what the words were, that is spoken by the speaker, and there would be no need for the tongue speaker to pray, that he might interpret what he just uttered, if he had learned the language before hand...

These verses below are revealing...the Gift is said not to be for men, but for God. It is said to be a sign, not a means to preach the Gospel in another language....They are called spirit utterances of mysteries here...and Paul makes a distiction between the langauge of the mind, and the language of the spirit, thus showing that they are not just normal human languages learned by the mind of man.

1 Corinthians 14:2 ?For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.?
1 Corinthians 14:13 ?For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.?
1 Corinthians 14:14 ?For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.?
1 Corinthians 14:15 ?So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.?

Messages In This Thread
Re: The letter from Shlichim and Elders (Acts 15:23) - by Thirdwoe - 12-29-2011, 02:21 AM