Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Church Father's Witness to the Peshitta Readings
The Eastern Peshitta lacks a few verses found in many Greek Manuscripts, but not all... and which appear in the Western Peshitto version, which I believe is a later Aramaic text edition, interpolated by a Sect...

Here is what I have found so far:

Luke 22:17-18 - Is not found in any qoutes from the Greek Church Father's, nor is it found in The Diatessoron of Tatian (160 A.D.)

John 7:53 - 8:11 - Is not found in The Diatessoron of Tatian (160 A.D.) And Bishop Papias (70-155 A.D.) is said to have written that this passage came from "The Gospel of the Hebrews" which was not considred authentic, as the other 4 Gospels in our New Testament. Pope Callistus (217-222) is seen to know of it....and both Cyprian and Pontius are seen to know of the passage in about 230-350 A.D. So, it seems that from about 130 A.D. to about 200 A.D. the passage came into the Greek Text, from an outside source...if Bishop Papias is correct. The 4 earliest dated Greek Manuscripts do not contain it...

Acts 8:37 Ireneaus knows of this verse in about 170 A.D....otherwise if is not mentioned by anyone else of the Church Father's from the late 1st to the 6th Century. It is not found in the early Greek Manuscripts, nor in the Latin Vulgate of Jerome 383 A.D.

Acts 15:34 Is not mentioned by anyone of the Church Father's.

Acts 20:28 Tertullian 200 A.D. mentions "the Blood of God" in one of his writtings, while the Apostolic Constitutions 390 A.D. mention "the Blood of Christ." The Majority Greek Manuscripts read "the Church of The Lord and God", some read "Church of God", some "Church of The Lord"...The Coptic texts read "Church of the Lord". The Apostolic Constiutions read "the Church of the Lord, which He purchased by the Blood of Christ."

Acts 28:29 I have not found this verse qouted by any Church Fathers of the early Church age.

Hebrews 2:9 So far as I have found, only Origen mentions this verse in his writtings about the year 240 A.D. saying: "He (Yeshua) is a great High-Priest, having offered Himself as the sacrifice which is offered once for all, and not for men only but for every rational creature. "For without God He (Yeshua) tasted death for every one." In some copies of the Epistle to the Hebrews the words are ?by the grace of God.? Now, whether He (Yeshua) tasted death for every one without God, He (Yeshua) died not for men only but for all other intellectual beings too, or whether He (Yeshua) tasted death for every one by the grace of God, He (Yeshua) died for all without God, for by the grace of God He(Yeshua) tasted death for every one." Origen - Commentary on the Gospel of John: Book I - About 240 A.D.

Blessings,
Chuck