Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miltha vs Logos
Shlama,

I am wondering today...and since last night, if the term "Miltha", is a term that was known and used in the same manner as it was among the Greek's with their "Logos", being a concept in their philosophical/spiritual teachings.

Is this "Miltha" concept/term also found in the liturature of the Aramaic spaking people, before it was given in the Gospel of John?

For instance one can go and look this term up in the ancient non-christian philosophical writtings/teachings by the Greek Philosophers, who expounded and spoke on the concept...but is this true among the ancient Aramaic peoples too?

Blessings,
Chuck
Thirdwoe Wrote:For instance one can go and look this term up in the ancient non-christian philosophical writtings/teachings by the Greek Philosophers, who expounded and spoke on the concept...but is this true among the ancient Aramaic peoples too?

Shlama Akhi Chuck,

The word is attested to in the Hebrew scripture, it's the Hebrew cognate Millah. As early on as Genesis. It's also found in the Aramaic form, Miltha, from Masada to Persia in Jewish, Pagan and Christian writings. Biblical and secular literature uses it quite frequently for everything from the simple "word", to "matter", "manifestation", "power", "utterance" and a whole lot more.

It's usage is found in everything from biblical texts to magical incantation bowls, from royal edicts to poetry, from the NT to Rabbinical literature like the Talmud. One could literally write books about just this one topic. So yes indeed, it is very well attested to in (pre- and non-Christian) literature as an anthropomorphism.

+Shamasha
Thanks,

I read somewere once that John used this "Greek" term, that the Greek people understood it from the Greek philosophers that taught about it...and checked it out once and found a number of times it was used to express a concept of the nature of God...so I wondered, if the Gospel of John was indeed written in Aramaic for an Aramaic audience, then it must be the case with those people groups as well...

So, does "Miltha" translate striaght into "Logos" and carries the same concept?

I see it's meaning being --> the Divine expression of God's will and mind, proceeeding forth from Him. Like a spoken word, is realating that which the mind has thought...the utterance or manifestation/revelation of what was hidden, but now made known, through the agency of the Word.

I think this is what The Holy Spirit through John is conveying...if I am not mistaken. Not that God's Miltha is an abstract concept though, but His "Offspring"...Light from Light, Spirit from Spirit...God from God, as the Creed teaches.