Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versions of the peshitta
Hi, I want to start studying the peshitta. I know how to read aramaic/assyrian, but I want to know if there are different versions of the Peshitta in aramaic or if there only is one.

If there are different versions, which one is the oldest?
If there only is one, has it been changed or is it in it's original form?

Thank you!
Shlama,

there are basically TWO versions that you will run across: the Eastern text (older) that is normally called the PESHITTA, and the Western text with some added books and passages, normally called the PESHITTO.

sometimes translators use the PESHITTO text / order and call it the PESHITTA, so you have to be aware. the big difference you can look for is if it contains the 27 book canon of the typical Protestant New Testament order = PESHITTO. if it contains only 22 books, you're likely reading the Eastern PESHITTA.

as for online texts, look up the MINGANA PESHITTA - a great manuscript of the Eastern version, or the Khabouris Codex, also a great Eastern manuscript, but damaged at the end, in Hebrews.

other than that, you might find more people respond to your questions if you post them in the GENERAL section! either way, may you be blessed in your study and in your walk with Messiah!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy