Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writers of the books of NT according to Abdisho / 13century
Hello,
yesterday on facebook Robert K. was posting a list of Aramaic books, including description by Bishop Abdisho, Bishop of Armenia and Nisibis in (13?) century, about who was writing the books of NT in which language. There even was mentioned, Marc would have wirtten in Latin (???). And when I asked Robert about the teachings of ACOE conserning Aramaic pashitta, he answered me, that "yes, only Matthew was written in Aramaic".
I got confused about this. Is this writing really originally from Bishop Abdisho, same who wrote Marganeetha?
And how is the official teaching of ACOE conserning Peshitta?

Kind regards,

Daniela

p.s.: what I really like in the Peshitta texts are in the Gospels the personal pronounce, like "our Lord" did this and that. To me it seems also thats why very originally and genuin.
Hi Dani,

Yes, I think Mar Abdisho was a bit influenced by 13th-century Armenian traditions regarding the origin of various books and their languages. I know Mar Shimun commented about it in his preface to the Marganitha, and he was surprised as well.

+Shamasha
Paul,

What is the official position of the Chruch of the East as to Peshitta Primacy?

As I have said before, it may have been the case as to the Eastern Peshitta, that it was not translated from Greek copies, but rather from copies made of the Originals that were in Aramaic, made at the direction of the Apostles themselves to be used by the Aramaic speaking people groups...and that the 1st Greek copies, could very well have been made at the same time, or near the same timeframe, by the Apostles or at their direction to go out to those among the Greeks who were later coming into the Church and perhaps some of the Latin speaking people as well, as the Old Latin New Testament books can be seen quoted as far back as 156 A.D.

We know in the Book of Acts, that The Messiah commanded the Apostles to go 1st to the Jews, then to those of other groups, such as spoke Greek and Latin as well as the far off lands. The Jerusalem Church was all Hebrew/Aramaic speaking Jews, and even Antioch was 1st only Jewish peoples, who spoke Aramaic for the most part. It was later after these non-Jewish people came to Faith in Messiah, that the Believers in The Church of Antioch began to evangelize their Greek neighbors.
Thirdwoe Wrote:Paul,

What is the official position of the Church of the East as to Peshitta Primacy?

Shlama Akhi Jeremy

Would it surprise you if the CoE doesn't have an official position?

Odd thing about this community. They never really historically took an official position on anything, unless there was extreme duress like during the Christological mess of the 5th century. It is a simple faith really.

It's less of an "official position" church, and more of a "if it's not in the bible, it's ineffable" church.

There are people with personal opinions, though. Aramaic primacists, and non-Aramaic primacists in both positions of leadership and laity.

The CoE refrains from being dogmatic unless pushed by extreme circumstances to define its stance. Again, usually in response to a challenge of a very severe nature.

Having said that, as you know the Peshitta is the only authorized version of scripture allowed to be read during the liturgical cycle.

+Shamasha
Shlama akhi Paul,

that was Chuck who asked, not me -- but i read it so i suppose it fit! =)

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
thank you, shamasha Paul,

so that?s also fine, if a church is not to dogmatically fixed in "official positions" but in "simple beliefe" and relying on the Scripture (Bible).
Besides, thanks for your explanations regarding the text of Bishop Abdisho.

Kind regards.
Dani Wrote:thank you, shamasha Paul,

so that?s also fine, if a church is not to dogmatically fixed in "official positions" but in "simple beliefe" and relying on the Scripture (Bible).
Besides, thanks for your explanations regarding the text of Bishop Abdisho.

Kind regards.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but we didn't have an "official" catechism until 2010. A bit late by some standards, eh? And that's if you want to call a work "official" that was made by two Qashas who were frustrated by the lack of one.

You know, they used to say that in order to understand the theology of the Church of the East, you had to sing its hymns. I've heard old Qashas say that if the scriptures were burned by the (insert persecutors here), they could be reconstructed from the hymnal.

+Shamasha
Thanks God, not all Bibles were lost / destroyed.
But its right, songs can give a lot of strength and encouragement and often its easier to learn texts by melodies / songs. And the Hymns of the Church of the East - at least the few English translations I could read, they are very strong and impressive.

I do remember a pastor in East Germany saying to us in the church lessons: Its good for you to learn Bible verses by heart; in case you would once find yourself in prison without Bible ... no one is abel to steal from you, what is in your heart.

May God keep you free and save always and may He keep His words in our minds.

Regards