Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omitted writings
First off, blessings to the board and each and every member. My question is this: are writings like the book of jasher and enoch 'valid?' maybe valid is not the right word, maybe authentic is a better description. Do you think it should have been included in the standard canonical scriptures and if so what are the reasons for its exclusion? Hopefully your answer will help me make up my mind as to what i believe. Toda.
Arnold,

Ethiopian church has Enoch in their canon.
And it is a church of Christ too.
(06-09-2011, 09:30 AM)Arnold Wrote: My question is this: are writings like the book of jasher and enoch 'valid?'

Shalaamu (Shlama) Arnold,
You asked a good question. Enoch is considered, as IPOstapyuk states, scripture in the Abyssinian (Ethiopian) Church. Fragments of this Enochian book in Aramaic have been found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, including longer versions of chs. 72-82 (the "Enochian astronomy"). Jude 14-15 seems to quote from the same book in Enoch 1:9. It is up to you if you consider it Scripture or not. (If you ask me personally, I believe in the possibility that it might.)

Besides Enoch, Jasher has no witness in any canons of churches. The Biblical Jasher in Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18 is most likely not the same book as the "book of Jasher" you are mentioning. I have a copy of this "book of Jasher" as translated by J. H. Parry. The speech of Joshua 10:12 is written poetically and the song of 2 Samuel 1:19-27 (the "Bow song" of David) are the subjects of the Biblical Jasher. Since both are poetry, it has been theorized by some scholars that the Biblical Jasher was probably an early Hebrew national song book (it may even have contained the "Song of Deborah" in Judges 5:2-31).

Since the earliest (Hebrew) text of Jasher dates to the mid 14th century A.D. (around 1550), we don't know if it really is the same book mentioned in Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18. It was considered a midrash. Its also called Toledoth Adam (Generations of Man).

Blessings to you in your studies.
Shalaamu

-- Seitz (הַלְתַּוְאַם Hal-Tawˀam)
"We have no power at all against the truth, but for the truth." -- 2 Corinthians 13:8