Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catechism of The COE
I am wondering if this is an official Catechism of The COE...before I get to far with it. I want to learn as much as I can, but not from something not authoritative

Link: http://www.acoeyouth.org/Learn/catechism/cat.html
You can trust that source.

The website is run by the Diocese of California.

You can also check out some books from:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lulu.com/atourpub">www.lulu.com/atourpub</a><!-- w -->
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nisibispress.com">www.nisibispress.com</a><!-- w -->
Thanks Robert...I have been reading a bit tonight and came across this...which I was a bit shocked by. Can you or others explain this to me?

Chapter 24

On Holy Malka

(Leaven or Yeast)

?

1) What is Holy Malka, where does it come from, what are its benefits?

We will respond to this inquiry by stating three aspects of this ancient Sacrament: 1) Traditional; and, 2) Liturgical; and, 3) Theological.

The ancient Apostles, Thomas and Bartholomew, of the 12 and Addai and Mar Mari of the 70, who had discipled the eastern region, committed to the whole of the Church in the East the Holy Leaven, which is to be kept for perfecting the administration of the Sacrament of our Lord?s Body in the Holy Eucharist, till He comes again. This is in keeping with the Sacred Tradition of the Holy Church.

2) Where did the Holy Leaven (Malka) and its practice come from?

We have a pious Sacred Tradition, written by our forefathers, that at the time of the Last Supper, when He had celebrated with the 12 He gave the bread after giving thanks, giving to each of the disciples a single piece, except for the Beloved John, to whom He had given two pieces. They ate the same, while the Beloved John kept aside the other single remaining piece. When our Lord Jesus was crucified and His side was pierced by the spear of the Roman soldier, and ?forthwith came there out blood and water . .? John the Beloved was to have used the extra piece of the bread as a sponge, and sopped the gushing of blood and water, let it dry, and in the forthcoming days, crushed the piece into flour, instructing his fellow disciples to use this mixture, to fold into the making of the Eucharistic bread. And, to always keep a small portion aside in order to maintain in perpetuity the Sacred Action of the kneading into the bread dough a portion of The Lord?s Last Supper (with His Twelve).

2) What are the liturgical aspects of this Holy Sacrament?

The liturgy states to us in the following prayers, the liturgical aspects of this blessed Sacrament, when the priest prepares the Eucharist bread saying, over the dough mixture: ?. . . may this dough be Signed and Sanctified by this ancient and Holy Leaven, of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was given and handed down unto us from our Holy Fathers Mar Addai, and Mar Mari and Mar Thomas the Apostles, who made disciples of this Eastern Region in the Name of the Father and of the Holy Spirit: Amen.?

3) How is the Holy Leaven (Malka) perpetuated, kept, or reserved?

There is a special liturgy in the Priest?s Prayer Book, in which instructions are clearly outlined for the continuation of the Holy Leaven in The Church. On the Day of the Passover (Passover Thursday) the clergy of the Parish ?bring pure fine flour that is of the finest wheat, 2/3rds and another 1/3 pounded and sifted salt, sprinkle upon the mixture a little pure reserved olive oil and three drops of water, mixing thoroughly together upon the mixing stone for the preparation The Host . . . then the sacristan and another priest, or more, and the deacons with them, place The Cross and Gospel, with the censer and the lights in the place of the preparation of The Host. . .? The ministers of the parish will continue in the Order of Prayers, until the time when the old leaven is used to sign the new mixture, saying, ? . . this flour is signed, hallowed, mingled, renewed, and made one with this Holy and Ancient Leaven of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was handed down to us from our spiritual fathers, Mar Mari, Mar Addai, and St Thomas, the blessed Apostles, who discipled this eastern region, that it may be taken from place to place, and from one land to another for the completion and mingling of the Living Host of the Life giving Mysteries as often as a reason of necessity calls, in The Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: Amen? According the customary signing with the Holy Cross, The priest will begin to mix vigorously the old and new leaven together, etc. When this action is complete it is placed into the container which will hold this Sacred Mixture; and, then to take the Renewed Holy Leaven to the North niche in the Holy Altar, where it will be kept and removed as needed for the preparation of the Holy Mass.

4) What are the theological implications in the observance, and the practice, of The Holy Leaven?

First: It is that Sacred act which binds us together with our Lord Jesus (and His 12) in the first Eucharistic celebration after they had consumed The Last Supper in the Upper Room. This is the connecting link of a perpetual act between the time past (in the day of our Lord Jesus), to this very present day, and in the time to come; so, thus it makes our sacrificial service as The One unbroken continuation of the selfsame sacrifice of Jesus Christ (to Him be everlasting glory, praise and thanksgiving!!) Second: In the Holy Leaven there IS present our very Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! It is for this very reason a light is kept burning in The Church as a viable Sign to witness the Presence of The Risen Lord Jesus Christ who is the Light of the World. Now, therefore, when a faithful soul will visit The Church, they are to enter with honor and respect, and in awe and silence; and, if female, with a covered head. Third: In union with and in active participation in The Holy Mass we encounter the ?. . .pardon and heal(ing) from the scars of sin and from the filth of wickedness, for the assistance of all the Community for the honor and the worship of the Glorious Trinity. . .? For it is written in the Order of the Renewal of the Holy Leaven the following prayer: ? . . . O, Lord, God of Hosts, (repeat), Holy and incomprehensible, Thou who didst appointed in Thy Holy Church spiritual stewards, the blessed Apostles, to feed Thy flocks in tranquil meadows of doctrine, saying to them, ?make disciples of every nation, and baptize, them in the Name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit;? and when you have baptized them, give the Communion in the Life Giving Mysteries in Holy Church; and the Apostles gave this symbol delivering it to the priests and leaders of the flock of Christ, and on the strength of Authority, we too, Thy weak and miserable, and wretched servants, through the Grace of the Holy Spirit, are perfecting and renewing this Holy Leaven, that it may impart, holiness to the mingling of the Holy and Life giving Mysteries, and may pardon and heal from the scars of sins and from the filth of wickedness, for the assistance of all the community, and for the honor and worship Thy glorious Trinity, now and always, and forever and ever: Amen. Then once again the Order of Renewal records for us the following prayer intention: ?. . . in Thy Name O, Lord God, Compassionate Father, (repeat) and in the Name of Thy Only Begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, The Merciful One, and in the Name of Thy Living Holy Spirit, we call upon Thee, and beseech Thee, to send The Power of Thy Grace, with the Gift of the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, to bless the Leaven and sanctify it, that Thy Godhead may dwell IN it and Thy Lordship be honored in IT, so that the Life-giving Mysteries which upon The Throne of Thy Lordship are offered, may be filled with IT, and perfected by it for the pardon forgiveness of sins: Amen.
The Holy Malka is one of the seven sacraments within the Church of the East. It's pretty well explained in the catechism, what else would you like to know?
Correct me if I am wrong. But it seems to be saying there that the 2nd peice of bread that the Apostle John was given by Jesus, was later used "as a sponge" to catch the Blood and Water that came out of the side of The Messiah...and that John took it home and let it dry and then ground it up...and gave a portion to those who were the 1st leaders of the Church of the East...and this SAME substance is somehow still in existance, and is used in each Holy Offering/Communion?

I'm I understanding this right? And if so, how is this Holy Malka multiplied? Miraculously? It never runs out? We are talking about almost 2000 years now of its use...how is it that it is the same substance?

And, I am wondering, how it can be "Leaven" when the Last Super was the Passover meal, which the bread that Jesus broke, was to be un-leavend bread...according to the Commandment.

I don't want to come away with the wrong idea here, so please help me understand this.

-Chuck
Yes Chuck what you are saying is right.

There is a certain liturgical day during the year when the Malka will be replenished.

Basically what happens is more is added to that which is remaining and it sanctifies the new which is added to it. It's usually kept in a jar behind the Altar.
Every new parish that is established gets a portion of the Malka from it's nearest neighbor as well. This was brought by the missionaries during the expansion to faraway lands like China and Japan as well, and today every church parish around the world is using the ingredients that are tied together this way.

Chuck, this is a very ancient practice that is alluded to in 1Cor. 10:17.
Brother Paul, so just to be clear...What I am hearing from the Catechism and you and Robert's comments, on this matter, is that this Holy Malka (Leaven) that the Apostle John prepared from the 2nd peice of bread, with the mixture of the Blood and Water that came out of Christ's side...And that this SAME substance has not be depleated over nearly 2000 years, but miraculously has been kept from being exhausted, though in constant use in all these churches around the world for this long.

Is this correct?

Also, if this is so, then what about in Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, the groups that have broke off from the COE, and the other groups out there that trace their churches back to the Apostles themselves...Do they also have this Holy Malka, or just strickly the Church Of The East?
Yes this is correct brother.

This is only found in the Church of the East. Glory be to Christ our Lord.
Ok. Then what does this mean? Is the Church of the East's communion the only one that is valid?
Depends on what constitutes validity really but I wouldn't go as far as to say that those who don't have Malka don't have a valid Eucharist.
Hi Chuck.

The CoE believes all the early churches had a similar tradition and were given the bread from the last supper. However this tradition, where we save and renew the Malka is only found today unfortunately in the CoE.

Of course this does not affect the validity of any other offering as we recognize them all. It is the action of the congregation and the prayers that consecrated the sacrifice that is being offered.
Brother Paul, you pointed me to 1st Corinthians 10:17 which says: "For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread."

If you believe that this "One Bread" is talking about the Holy Malka, and it only exists today with the Church of The East, then those who do not have this "One Bread" are not One Bread or One Body with those who have the One Bread and are partakers of it.

That is the way it seems to be, if we read that straight and it is talking about the Holy Malka. The Holy Malka, is more than symbolic bread...in that it containes the real blood of Christ, by a miracle of God.

Am I not seeing this right?

I don't want to get nutty about this, but if The Church of The East has this as a reality, and the others do not, then why would that be the case, and what does that say about The Church of The East?
Thirdwoe Wrote:Brother Paul, you pointed me to 1st Corinthians 10:17 which says: "For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread."

If you believe that this "One Bread" is talking about the Holy Malka, and it only exists today with the Church of The East, then those who do not have this "One Bread" are not One Bread or One Body with those who have the One Bread and are partakers of it.

That is the way it seems to be, if we read that straight and it is talking about the Holy Malka. The Holy Malka, is more than symbolic bread...in that it containes the real blood of Christ, by a miracle of God.

Am I not seeing this right?

I don't want to get nutty about this, but if The Church of The East has this as a reality, and the others do not, then why would that be the case, and what does that say about The Church of The East?

Honestly, perhaps the CoE reads 1st Corinthians 10:17 a bit too literally, but in any case it is one of the Sacraments in the Church. It's really not made the center of adoration, not much is made of it despite the potential significance of it. It's kept in a jar on the altar and mixed in with the offering, and renewed once a year. It's given to a new parish every time one is founded. And so the tradition continues...

I'm not purposely sidestepping your other questions. I think the CoE intentionally keeps this a low-key type of thing, if for anything just to make sure the Malka is not treated as if it's an idol.

Whether one believes the tradition began with the Apostle John, or at a later time....is sort of a minor thing. The importance of the sense of continuity (whenever it began, it's certainly an ancient practice) and "togetherness" - is that the word I'm looking for? That's really what makes the Malka "holy" for us.

Just as a background, this is a bit of tradition hearkening back to our Jewish roots. A portion of the ashes of the Red Heifer were saved and mixed in with the ashes of a new Red Heifer, and provided this sort of "continuity." Jews to this day save a portion of the "challah" bread to mix in with future mixes, and so forth. It probably comes from that.

In any case, 1st Corinthians 10:17 is applicable in the hearts of the adherents...

+Shamasha
Understood Brother Paul, thanks for that.

Can you expound on what you said here? "It's kept in a jar on the altar and mixed in with the offering, and renewed once a year."

How is it "renewed"? Does it just increase by itself, or is it taken from a larger portion from another place maybe? Are we talking about a miracle of each jar, or the larger portion, from which each jarfull orginally came from?