Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning the words of Yeshua by heart
Hi all,

Not too long ago I've began to be gently nudged to start learning the words of Yeshua (as recorded in the Gospels) by heart. The blessings that came with following on with that nudging are beyond description. These are truly the words of life, words that only someone who was God and our own Creator could have spoken.

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God" has a total new meaning to me now. We are spiritual beings and our spirits do need this bread (the words of Yeshua) to really thrive and prosper.

What I learnt was the Greek->English translation of His words. If even in translation His words can have such an impact that people around do take notice; I can't even imagine what learning His words in their original language could do to somebody with a receiving heart.

So here's a thought that I submit for consideration to some of us leaving in or around Chicago (where I also live).
What about setting up some face-to-face meetings for the main purpose of learning the sayings of Jesus by heart, as they were uttered in Aramaic (Gospel of John, for example)?

While this endeavor can be undertaken alone as well, being in a group has many advantages:
- those farther than the rest on their Aramaic journey could lead and also lend a hand to the "youngsters" in Aramaic.
- being in a group is easier to stay on track
- verbalizing the saying of Yeshua would greatly benefit both the verbalizer and the hearers.
- having the objective defined clearly would protect such a group from sectarian strivings. The only authority to pursue: Yeshua and just His words.
- we could meet at one of the many Aramaic churches in Chicago area, if any open their door, otherwise at homes.

Wouldn?t be great for a group a Christians coming from various denominational background to actually be able come together in unity around the only "subject" that really matters, Yeshua and His teachings?

Peace,
Greg
Hi Greg. That's a great idea. Let me discuss with St Andrews parish, they have a lot of classrooms we can use.
Paul, I am excited that you find this idea worthy to be pursued.
Let's go for it.
Praise be to God.
Yes, I agree. This sounds like a fun and meaningful pursuit. Now that I'm in the Chicago area, I would be interested in participating.

bar Sinko
Hi Paul,
Any progress here? My own church would also provide us with a classroom, if needed. There were a couple of people in my church being tentatively interested in this.
Peace, Greg
I would also be interested though I'm not as close physically (I live just outside of Milwaukee). My life is very complicated due to being the only caregiver for someone disabled, but still... If this got underway I would want to know of the opportunity just in case it could work out for me to make it.
I still have a call out so I will let everyone know when I hear back. I think there should be a room available, even though Friday nights are quite busy there.

Rmanlow, it's in Glenview which is on the northern side of the suburbs. I think about 70 miles from downtown Milwaukee, in case you could make it out.
Paul Younan Wrote:I still have a call out so I will let everyone know when I hear back. I think there should be a room available, even though Friday nights are quite busy there.

Rmanlow, it's in Glenview which is on the northern side of the suburbs. I think about 70 miles from downtown Milwaukee, in case you could make it out.
Friday nights are busy for me, too... but sometimes I am able to break my normal schedule. I hope such an opportunity comes along.

Glenview from Milwaukee isn't such a bad drive - thanks for the tip!

-Raymond Ramlow
If there is interest, maybe sessions could be recorded. Although I am just comig up with the idea mainly, I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff - I am coming from a more primitive culture originally.

Also I think our Jewish brothers could help here with suggestions, it seem like they have a long tradition around learning things by heart. Do Arameans too? How could this be done most effective in a group setting?