Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic word for "sorcery?" Does it literally mean drug use?
Everytime I read about sorcery in the Bible, at least when most of it being in the OT, it talks about wizards and divinations and mumblings being sin. Back then, there must have been REAL sorcerers. Remember the sorcerers of Egypt mocked God in all the same plagues he struck them with? This tells me that when the bible talks about sorcery and magic, its actually talking about these things.

We live in a different time. I, nor any other sane person in this world today, whether Christian or not, smokes weed as a shamanistic spell or ritual to summon spirits. We just want to feel a little better throughout the day.

Also, I find it hard to believe that all the holy prophets of God didnt have fun and relaxation in their lives. A lot of them lived past 100 years old, so what do you think they were doing with their time when they weren't writing their parts in the Bible? Most likely just living a typical normal human life and enjoying simple, non-sinful pleasures.

As for pot being illegal, well, thats nothing getting a cannibas card for depression cant fix. Cause without weed, life is pretty depressing and boring. Weed just helps me get through it. Im much more likely to read the Bible and be more spiritual and kind to my fellow neighbor when high and feeling good than when sober, irritable and cranky.

Even Paul recommended some medicine for Timothy's stomach didn't he? If "God is all you need" then why didnt Paul rebuke the thought of medicine as a faithless action unto God?

As far as I see it, I can still follow Torah and love Yshua and smoke weed. Man-made drunkeness makes you act a fool and causes you to lose control of your behavior and actions, but the herb in question does not.

Yay or nay?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/Jennings/082.jpg">http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/Jennings/082.jpg</a><!-- m -->

The main thing is, love God, love your neighbours, love yourselves.
If you do harm your neighbours directly or indirectly, it's wrong.

Even if God himself would say: "Weed is okay" then _still_ weed production and transportation is the source of _lots_ of evil. That's why I keep off.
My conscience convicted me last night while I was smoking with a buddy, who also happened to be a believer. We both agreed we felt like we were engaging in magic and sorcery by getting high so I will try to stop from now on. Im very joyous because of this. Thanks distazo.
I know the greek for sorcery does, drugs open up your spirit to the spirit realm, we can have fun in God. Have you seen some of the logos for medical science, with one snake on a pole or two snakes on a pole. Most of us know who the snake is.
As far as the greek goes pharmakia, the word for sorcery means anyone who takes drugs or sells drugs. I do not take drugs even when I am sick, I would rather trust the Lord Jesus. In mark 15-23 ' And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh, but he received it not'. Here was Jesus hanging on the cross in agony and they offered him a drug, myrrh, a painkiller and He would not drink it. In the garden He was sweating blood, did He try to get the nearest doctor, no, He kept praying and later on angels came to minister to Jesus.
Now many take drugs, have a look at revelation 9-21 ' Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries.....
And also revelation 18-23-' for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived'
Jesus said the road to heaven is narrow and few there be that that find it and 'wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction and many there be which go in thereat' . 'Strive to enter the narrow gate'.
Shlama Akhi Rungold.

As with most topics there is more to it than just legality. Our Lord did turn water into wine, but that was a beverage used to get drunk, or compliment a fine meal a the wedding. It depends on the intent.

My feeling has always been that the intent and moderation of the user is more important than a strict legal or moral judgement.

Does our Lord disapprove of alcohol when used during communion? I certainly hope not, since He shared the cup his disciples. But I'm sure he would not approve of the misuse of wine by alcoholics.

Likewise there is compelling scientific evidence for medicine benefits with pot use. If it helps people with appetite and glaucoma I personally feel it would be sinful and inhumane to withhold the treatment.

But to use it for recreational purposes, while I'm not sure rises to the level of sin, raises other questions about how it supports an atmosphere of crime and potential neglect of other duties.

Is our attention on God, or our intention on setting an example to non believers when we want to drink alcohol or smoke pot?

I suppose these things should be considered first and then the answers will come to us naturally.

Shamasha Paul.
If the ground was cursed for Adam's sake, we know that the intent and initial design of things changed. Take thorns and thistles as an example. Some people like making thistle tea. What a great idea. An idea born of a cursed earth. And although our Father is so excellent at creating, there has surely been effects in creation these past few thousand years due to the ground being cursed for Adam's sake. The argument that all plants are "natural" and God's "planned" plants, because of the ground being cursed by our Creator, isn't actually valid in how people try to use it... If you disagree, might I suggest you try a quaint cup of angel's trumpet tea, and maybe some nice rosary pea and castor bean burritos and then we can talk... Anything that replaces the function of God's presence or His peace given through the Ruach, by other means, whatever they may be, misses the point, which, if we are honest, is really at the heart of these sort of topics. You see, if you believe that your "God's" original planting of the earth including things that weaken your will, give you hallucinations, and in many ways try to kill you, then perhaps whatever god you serve does want you to smoke pot... because that would have to be the same one... But if you believe that, say when ELOHIM (the Tanakh ELOHIM,) curses the earth and it brings forth negative things, well... there it is...the curse coming from the Creator WILL change the plant life! (Please note that the initial evidence was not for the better.)

Now in health realms, the above still applies, but I would suggest we move ourselves to higher ground. Ultimately, there must therefore be a distinction between Yahweh who heals through the bruises and stripes of Yeshua, and local foliage, regardless of the perceived benefits of something "natural", not all things edify. And not all things are of faith. And that which is not of faith, is sin. I don't think there is much faith in rolling one up.

There are many things that seem "good", yet, like the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (which was "natural" and Elohim made) it brought spiritual death and separation. Sinning with plants is an old habit we just have to kick as a people. Just because an earthly corrupt government of Babylon wants to offer you a "pot's ok" card, doesn't mean it's ok with Yahweh.

As for Timothy- A little wine for his infirmity is different than one thinking they need a little weed to just feel Gods love for human kind. For Timothy to get the sort of high-bliss one gets from smoking pot, he'd have to drink far more than a little wine. And we are told many times about the lack of benefits towards God that drunkenness offers. Yet I'm sure no one would argue that the early stages of drunkenness are also filling one with a pseudo "love toward his fellow man"... at least, many act that way.

Recently I have been learning about certain issues that affect pilots in flight. One that applies wonderfully to this talk would be what is known as hypoxia. Notably, in hypoxia, the first stage is euphoria. - An exaggerate state of well-being brought about by a lack of oxygen, or a lower level than is needed. If you are ever in a plane with a pilot experiencing this euphoria, it won't be long till the ground comes rushing towards you much faster than you intend. It is the same with these sort of issues. There is a way that seems right to a man...

They only thing that can make you feel the real love for another, is a love that is perfected in you through obedience.

I promise you, if you stay under what the Ruach has shown (the conviction you stated above) then you will see that life in the Ruach is far more impressive. (Take Rav Shaul and his talking about third heaven. Or, any of the open visions the prophets have had, or really, anything that has ever happened in the Tanakh and the NT!) We need to move past the thick outer darkness as a body of believers, and actually start believing. I find it the most wonderful place in the world, to be next to Him. And when you are, the last thing you think of is getting some foreign element to "augment" His presence. If He isn't enough now, He won't be enough then... It's hard to imagine the Levites of old, after Solomon prays and Yahweh's fire falls and smoke fills the temple that, there, on their faces, as they can't stand to minister because of His REAL presence, that the thought crosses their mind that "a little toke would really make this more palpable".

The only positive smoke I see in the Word is coming from sacrifice or His manifest presence...

Aaron.
aaronmcgill Wrote:As for Timothy- A little wine for his infirmity is different than one thinking they need a little weed to just feel Gods love for human kind. For Timothy to get the sort of high-bliss one gets from smoking pot, he'd have to drink far more than a little wine.

Shlama Akhan Aaron,

Very good post. One can point out that many medicinal marijuana users actually don't smoke pot at all, rather they ingest it in brownies or that sort of thing. I suppose this helps with the lost appetite many chemo patients experience. And I've been told by users of medicinal pot that there's no real high or bliss to speak of, whether they smoke it or eat it. Sort of like taking synthetic opiates for pain...the high is absent, only the pain is controlled. I guess depending on how it's used, it may be closer to a little wine for Timothy's infirmity than the traditional image of hippies with a bong.

Heroin is a terrible drug, but the narcotics (synthetic or natural) that are based on the same poppy plant are indispensable in modern medicine. Having recently had surgery I don't know how I would have coped without the Vicodin afterward.