Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARAMAIC CLARIFICATION STATEMENTS IN NT
Thanks for those additions Brother...

This brings the totals to 20 clarifications/interpretatons in the Greek and its translations. And adds 3 more as I judge, to the 6 verses in the Aramaic Scriptures where no clarifications/interpretations are given...for a total of 9 verses/places where they do not appear.

New Clarification Total in Eastern Aramaic Peshitta (Khabouris Codex):

11 Yes
9 No

As far as I know...this does not occur in any translation of the Greek NT.

Is it not more probable that the Greek version is translating the Aramaic Scriptures in all these 20 places...and needs to clarify or interpret the Aramaic terms for its readers...than it would be that the Aramaic Scriptures would not need to clarify or interpret the terms in the 9 places that it leaves be as worded?

If there is a good study on all this, I would love to read through it...if not, I think it would be an interesting investigation...as to which is more likley and why, from a language vantage point.

Certainly it seems not likey a case of scribal error, where the Aramaic Scribe of the Eastern Peshitta would have missed these 9 places out of the 20 found in the Greek text (if it is to be believed that the Peshitta is a translation of the Greek text)....but more likely, it is that the Greek Scribe has made all the clarifications that seemed best to make the meaning clear to the Greek readers...in all the 20 places where this need arises in the Aramaic NT Scriptures.

If the Aramaic is translating the Greek...then the Aramaic Scribe is deleting parts of what he would know to be the inspried Word of God...something that I don't think he would do, or his employers would tolerate....But the Greek Scribe...in adding clarifications or translations in brakets or otherwise indicating what he is doing in bringing the meaning of the source text (Aramaic)...is not destroying the reading at all, but retains all of it...yet enhancing it.. when bringing the meaning of the Language through into the Greek Language...

I say this is great proof of Aramaic Primacy.

Blessings,
Chuck

Messages In This Thread
Re: ARAMAIC CLARIFICATION STATEMENTS IN NT - by Thirdwoe - 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM