Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come, let us reason of Enoch of old
rungold315, i hope you did not think i implied that your approach was wrong? And, you are aware that most people here don't believe in a western 66 Book canon?
About the canon, i do currently use the 66-book canon, but if i see reason to change that, i easily would. The problem is, if you break open the canon you will have to deal with thousandfold more than just the book of enoch.

About the prophecies: Such similarities can be found in many places, and are not only an expression of the divine, but also of the underlying culture (people expressed themselves in similar ways in that time). A lot of end time prophecies are mirrored in many cultures on earth, some of which you may consider evil and satanic (even islam has a lot of NT prophecies, though with their own twist). i hope that we don't have to add the Quran to our canon though. The Tao te king has a lot of parallels and near-quotes from Song of Solomon, and yet no one ever thought about including it into our canon.

Establishing rules for a canon is very hard. The OT canon we use is more based on traditional / historical aspects than someone categorizing books as canon/non-canon. Most people like to back it up by saying that Jesus quoted from almost all of the 39 Books of the OT canon (but apparently not from the OT apocryphical writings) and by the fact that it was preserved widely and seperately by both jews and christians.

If you have any idea what the proper method of establishing a canon is, let me know. Jude quoting from enoch alone cannot make it canon. If enoch was a true account, it would be irrelevant if it was canon or not, there would be no reason why he could not quote from it.

i am not against enoch in any way, but i am not sure it really harmonizes with the Bible. The same story with the Shepherd of Hermas, which is a very interesting book.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Come, let us reason of Enoch of old - by sean - 03-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Re: Come, let us reason of Enoch of old - by Andrej - 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Re: Come, let us reason of Enoch of old - by dr p - 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Re: Come, let us reason of Enoch of old - by sean - 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Re: Come, let us reason of Enoch of old - by sean - 03-28-2011, 03:03 AM