Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adulterae?
Shlama all,

Thank you, Distazo, for acknowledging, at least, a useful point.
The Spirit of God is sent to guide us into the truth and teach us discernment between truth and error, light and darkness, good and evil.
If we cannot know whether He is the Author of what we read in what is called scripture, or whether it is simply the word of man, what hope do we have that we have received The Holy Spirit, and eternal Life?

Perhaps the Pericope is a test for us, as are certain other passages and verses, and even whole books.

God wouldn't do that to us, would He?

Seems to me He tested Abraham in a like manner:
"And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of."

How many of his friends would have advised him (not to mention his wife, Sarah) that this was a wise course of action? I seriously doubt he consulted with anyone else in this matter.

Ro 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. -speaking of Abraham as our spiritual father by faith.

Our tests are generally not quite as severe as that.

I really don't care to get into a debate about John 7:53-8:11.
I am interested in discussing the power of The Holy Spirit and our relationship to Him, and how He changes us, helps us and leads us.
Does He still speak? Does He move us to think and act in unearthly ways?

Can He give us more than, "I think so", or "I believe this is true?

Can He and does He cause us to know?

Our life depends on knowing:
"But these things are eternal life: '[b]They shall know you, for you alone are The God of Truth, and Yeshua The Messiah whom you
have sent[/b].' " John 17:3
Jer 24:7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.
Jer 9:3 And they bend their tongues like their bow for lies: but they are not valiant for the truth upon the earth; for they proceed from evil to evil, and they know not me, saith the LORD.
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

7. But these things that were advantages to me, I have accounted losses for the sake of The Messiah.
8. I also consider all these things a loss for the majesty of the knowledge of Yeshua The Messiah, my Lord, him for whose sake I have lost everything, and I consider it all as a dung heap, that I may gain The Messiah,
9. And be found in him, while I do not have my own righteousness, which is from The Written Law, but that which is from the faith of
The Messiah, which is the righteousness that is from God,
10. That by it I may know Yeshua and the power of his resurrection, and that I may share in his sufferings and be conformed with his death,
11. That perhaps I may be able to come to the resurrection from the place of the dead.
12. I have not yet received it, neither am I yet perfect, but I run so that I may obtain that thing for which Yeshua The Messiah apprehended me. -Philip. 3

Don't you all want to know?
I do. Knowing what is scripture is just the beginning. Then we must know Him, Whose Name is The Truth, and that means obeying and following after Him. I am afraid to reject one syllable He ever uttered and preserved for us; in fact, I love His words, and esteem them above all other words and above money and possessions.

Ps 119:127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
Ps 119:159 Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.(KJV)

Pr 13:13. He that has contempt against the word will be destroyed by it, and he that is in awe of the commandment will be saved; there will be no favor to the deceitful man, and a wise man whose works are upright will lift up the head by his way.
16. Everything that a wise one does is in knowledge, and a fool speaks emptiness.-(my translation of the Peshitta)

"The Elder to The Elect lady and her children, those whom I love in the truth, but it is not I only, but also all those who know the truth, 2. Because of the truth which dwells in us and is with us for eternity."

"And you will know the truth, and that truth will set you free."

Be blessed,

Dave

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Re: Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adultera - by gbausc - 03-04-2011, 09:08 PM