Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adulterae?
@Judge: hermeneutics is right up there with linguistics in interpreting Scripture - or any piece of writing, really - so the question of "feeling free" will colour any interpretation of any passage anywhere. One would think, though, that the meaning of the author's words in related passages would be a major consideration of any final judgement. In the case of Scripture, that would include the "rule of faith" and the consensus of faithful scholarship, particularly as summarised in confessional symbols. Without some sort of ecclesiastical oversight, one is left with the sort of chaos and confusion of "it means what it means to me today;" if it can mean anything, it means nothing. This does not imply slavish subservience to human authority, but rather the recognition of one's own limitations and degrees of authority. Private judgement is not licence to believe and do what one wants without consequences. Do I feel free to disagree with Ss Augustine and Jerome in certain secondary matters? Sure, as my own branch of the church has; her reasons are spelled out and easily followed. Do I feel free to disagree with them - or her - in essential matters? No, as I would then have forfeited credibly calling myself a Christian. I'm curious as to what standard(s) you use to decide what you filter these considerations in approaching a text.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Re: Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adultera - by dr p - 02-25-2011, 04:13 AM