Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adulterae?
Shlama Dr. P.

Sorry I'm not able to answer all your points as I am at work about to head off into a meeting.

Quote:There is no neutrality, rather differing degrees of bias.

I believe your statement pretty much sums up the entire thread. And it demonstrates what we both readily admit and know to be true.

Personally we all have opinions. And some people are more rigid in their belief system than others. I make no claims of being free of bias.

I have been known to openly disagree with and, when warranted confront, our own hierarchy. My viewpoints are my own, I am able to defend them, and when they disagree with established norms there have been conflicts even within my own church.

I'll give you an example. When I started this work over a decade ago, there was a lot of resistance to it within the church itself.

A certain bishop, who will remain nameless, was particularly irate about it. When I asked him for help, he refused. He was not an Aramaic Primacist. You read that correctly, this CoE bishop was a Greek Primacist. He was educated in Rome, incidentally. Nevertheless, I later heard from other clergy that he would mock this work as a "one man show."

To make a long story short, this nameless individual has since been stripped of his ecclesiastic rank for, ironically, being essentially a "one man show."

His opinions affected his view of reality, as do mine. Having bias is human. Allowing cognitive dissonance to affect our God-given reasoning capabilities is not something we should allow to happen.

I think we agree to a point here. That we are all in some part affected by bias and that we should strive to be more open to ideas when the evidence disagrees with our presuppositions.

In this particular case the lack of the p/a within my own tradition was the basis for my bias. I have since researched it exhaustively. It has reinforced my belief in the original bias. I have yet to see evidence strong enough to dismiss that position. Augustine and Jerome, while great men, aren't reason enough for me to discount the evidence in the manuscripts themselves.

Hope to see you here more often. I have to run. Be well brother.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM