Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touch/Offer (QRB)
This wordplay is made in passing and may or may not be intentional, nonetheless it's interesting seeing the same word being exploited in two totally different ways in quick succession.

Luke 5
[font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]hbrg hnm Lz0 ht94rbw 0kdt0 0n0 0bc hl rm0w hl Brq (w4y hdy0 +4pw[/font] 13
[font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Jwhtwdhsl 04wm dqpd 0nky0 <tykdt Plx 0nbrwq Brqw 0nhkl <4pn 0wx Lz f0 rm0t f $n0ld hdqpw[/font] 14
13 And Y'shua stretched forth his hand and touched him and said to him, "I do desire. Be cleansed." And his leprosy departed from him at once!
14 And he commanded him, "Do not tell to anyone, rather go show yourself to the priests and offer an offering for your purification as Moshe commanded for their testimony." (AENT)

The first word in red is qrev, with contextual meaning touched, and the second is qarev, with contextual meaning offer.
The word in blue, qurbana, is a word that appears in the Khabouris codex, also derived from the same root as the above two.
Shlama akhi,

i think there is something to this for sure. my personal reason is that i've seen different definitions of this same QRB root used in close proximity elsewhere in the Peshitta. so it seems to perhaps have been an intentional and well-known play. i wonder if it is something normally found still today in the cultural setting?

i've got to run at the moment, but i'll share the other passages later this evening if you'd like to see them.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy