Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harden and Potter
Shlama,

i don't know what topic this might qualify under, so i'll just post it here, but i noticed this interesting link while in Romans, recently:

chapter 9:18, speaks of Alaha "hardening," and uses the term [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]04qm[/font]

just a few verses later, in 20 and 21, he brings up the analogy of the clay and the potter to vindicate Alaha's mercy and hardening, which is a very good analogy in regards to subject matter, but when looked at in the Peshitta, it becomes the perfect analogy. check it out:

in verse 21, Alaha is called the Potter, which is [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0rxp[/font], and literally means "one who hardens." thus, the analogy in the Aramaic is the perfect analogy, since "The Hardener" (Alaha) has the authority to harden OR to soften (have mercy). the reader of the Peshitta can easily see that, of course, the "hardener" CAN harden the clay as he so desires, thus hinting at the idea of "what do you expect a "hardener" to do?"

the Greek, in contrast, preserves no such link between thoughts, respectively reading: kerameus (potter) and skljrunei (harden).

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy