Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Again; Acts 23:23
The difference on Acts 23:23 with Greek is that the Peshitta mentions sending 200 right handed Romans, while the Greek just sais: "200 soldiers"

The Aramaic is more specific while I also think that mentioning of 200 Romans instead of 'soldiers' is not a co-incidence.
Since Paul was a Jew and the Judeeans plotted against him, it would be likely that Jewish hired soldiers (for the Romans), would co-operate with the judean authorities to deliver Paul to be killed. Not?

So, the request was for non-jewish (roman) soldiers seems very authentic. However, Zorba might have thought this detail to be in 'error' and translated it to 'soldiers'
distazo Wrote:The difference on Acts 23:23 with Greek is that the Peshitta mentions sending 200 right handed Romans, while the Greek just sais: "200 soldiers"

The Aramaic is more specific while I also think that mentioning of 200 Romans instead of 'soldiers' is not a co-incidence.
Since Paul was a Jew and the Judeeans plotted against him, it would be likely that Jewish hired soldiers (for the Romans), would co-operate with the judean authorities to deliver Paul to be killed. Not?

So, the request was for non-jewish (roman) soldiers seems very authentic. However, Zorba might have thought this detail to be in 'error' and translated it to 'soldiers'

I wonder .wewre right handed soldiers considered superior....or is some some meaning to it it aramaic that was lost on the greek translator?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2258
judge Wrote:I wonder .wewre right handed soldiers considered superior....or is some some meaning to it it aramaic that was lost on the greek translator?

In ancient battle theory, it was very, very important if someone was left or right. You cannot mix right and left handed hand-combattants, as they would hinder each other.

In addition, the soldiers had to be roman, not jewish. Just for the reason that the plotting against Paul was made by jews. (I think)