Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gabbatha/Gfifta
Shlama Achai,

Can anyone tell me what [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Fpypg[/font] (G'fifta) in John 19:13 means and how it relates to Gabbatha found in Greek?
Aaron S Wrote:Shlama Achai,

Can anyone tell me what [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Fpypg[/font] (G'fifta) in John 19:13 means and how it relates to Gabbatha found in Greek?

Hi Aaron,

Isn't "Gabbatha" just a bad transliteration of the Aramaic "Gpiptha"? Probably the translators/transliterators sounded out the "p" sound as a "b" sound since these two consonants can sound alike depending on their placement in a word. I know that native Arabic speakers can't make the "p" sound. To them it sounds like a "b". Perhaps something similiar happened in the transliteration of this word. I know that the word means pavement.
Adding to my previous question, what about [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Flwgg[/font] (Gagultha) & Golgotha and [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Nmsdg[/font] (Gedsiman) & Gethsemane?
Aaron S Wrote:Adding to my previous question, what about [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Flwgg[/font] (Gagultha) & Golgotha and [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Nmsdg[/font] (Gedsiman) & Gethsemane?

Are not these two words Hebrew proper?
That's what I'm asking....whether these spellings are accurate and how to explain the jump between Greek and Aramaic spellings