Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primacist Discussion on CARM
I have started a topic on CARM in which I am asking people how to explain the various examples given in "Was the Bible Really Written in Greek". The following is one of the responses. I'm curious what the response from here would be:

"Let me begin by saying that I read Aramaic, admittedly I check much of what I read against Sokoloff's dictionary. The ancient fathers of the church all agreed that Matthew wrote his Gospel in the native tongue of the Jews. The Old Syriac (Sinaiatic Palimpsest) is probably very close to the autograph, since nothing would have been lost in translation. This manuscript was written at the close of the 2nd century and it undoubtedly was copied from a first century exemplar.

John was written in very crude Greek (which I also read), but he is often using Aramaic structure, including asyndetons. He used lambanao excessively for took, accepted and received (dechomai is a much better word for received). However, the Syriac version of John is clearly a very free-handed translation of the Greek text (the best manuscript is Papyrus 66 -- circa 125 A.D. -- which I have translated into English). Subscription to John in several of the 5th/6th centuries of the Syriac Peshitta admit that both John and Luke wrote their Gospels in GREEK. So even the ancient churchmen in the Syriac speaking lands admitted that these two Gospels were not originally written in Syriac/Aramaic. Likewise, some of thes early manuscripts of the Peshitta also admit that Mark wrote his Gospel in Rome and in the Roman = Latin tongue!

The only other parts of the New Testament which might have been written in a language other than Greek were Romans (Latin, you'll notice that the scribe was Tertius, which is a Latin name) and James which was supposedly written by a Galilean Jew (James the Just). Although Paul was a Pharisee, he was from the Dispersion (Greek city of Tarsus) and he travelled and wrote to people in Greek cities (Corinth, Ephesus, et al).

As for the Matthean genealogy, Uncials M and Koridethi, the Lake group and about 150 other minuscules included king Jehoiakim. Irenaeus (2nd century) also confirmed 3 complete sets of 14 men in each generation. Furthermore, the Old Syriac doesn't support your supposition about Joseph being Mary's father. The text of 1:16 says that Joseph was betrothed (d'mkyre) to Mariam.

by the Grace of God,

Mark aka DominusDei "

Messages In This Thread
Primacist Discussion on CARM - by Doug in CO - 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Re: Primacist Discussion on CARM - by Doug in CO - 04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Re: Primacist Discussion on CARM - by judge - 04-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Re: Primacist Discussion on CARM - by judge - 04-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Re: Primacist Discussion on CARM - by ograabe - 04-15-2010, 03:45 AM