Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
27 books mentioned in Nestorian tablet (?)
Shlama Akhay,

I think it's important to take a step back here. The Church of the East has never declared a "canon" in the sense that the Western Church has. By 22 books being considered "canonical", we mean that they are read from during the liturgy - by the deacons primarily as the Qasha reads the Gospel only. The appointed readings during each reading of the "Shawaye" ("sevens"), which are the major divisions of our calendar, only come from the 22 books of the ancient manuscripts. We have no appointed readings from these other books.

Having said that, every one that I know has a 27-book copy of the modern printed Peshitta that we actually buy in the church bookstore. We are actively encouraged to read, and teach, from all 27 books. While they are not considered to be equal to the 22 in the sense of their standing in liturgical practice, they are nevertheless considered "pious" works and we are very respectful of them.

The CoE liturgical cycle was fixed prior to the translation of these 5 books from Greek.

I think everyone is getting a bit too hung up on the idea of a "canon." To my knowledge the CoE has never declared a canon for either the Old or the New Testament.

For someone in China to say 27 books were left behind is not so surprising.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Re: 27 books mentioned in Nestorian tablet (?) - by Paul Younan - 02-09-2010, 04:44 AM