Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different passover date for Galileans?
I read once, and IIRC it may have been here, that the talmud(?) tells us that for logistical reasons galileans celebrated the passover a day before(?) judeans. Does anyone know about this, or have reference (was this possibly discused in Andrews first book?).
Does this explain why Mark has Jesus and the disciples eating the passover the day before Jesus died and John seems to have the passover on the day Jesus dies?

Added in edit:
I found this which seems to be an answer.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.com.au/books?id=6z-NcR7fVSIC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=passover+galileans+talmud+john&source=bl&ots=8ot4cOZvhd&sig=lvTO8LHzj08ZyBR7KZrxvc0X60Y&hl=en&ei=CazLS_eQM4vq7APMiI33Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=passover%20galileans%20talmud%20john&f=false">http://books.google.com.au/books?id=6z- ... hn&f=false</a><!-- m -->
Shlama

IIRC Roth discusses the ins and outs in Signs of the Cross.
I think it relates to the different traditions of celebrating the first day of the Passover on the 14th day of the lunar month as in Exodus or alternatively on the 15th day of the month as dictated in other OT books.

If Jesus celebrated on the 14th day, he would have been one day ahead of the Jews in Jerusalem. That would explain the Gospel renditions.

Otto
ograabe Wrote:I think it relates to the different traditions of celebrating the first day of the Passover on the 14th day of the lunar month as in Exodus or alternatively on the 15th day of the month as dictated in other OT books.

If Jesus celebrated on the 14th day, he would have been one day ahead of the Jews in Jerusalem. That would explain the Gospel renditions.

Otto

Exodus 12:18

18In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.

Leviticus 23:5-6
5 The LORD's Passover begins at twilight on the fourteenth day of the first month. 6 On the fifteenth day of that month the LORD's Feast of Unleavened Bread begins; for seven days you must eat bread made without yeast.

So exodus is talking about where day 13 meets day 14 and not where day 14 meets day 15?
It seems to me that the Exodus passage has the Passover meal at the beginning/evening of the 14th day. The Leviticus reading has the Passover meal at the begining/evening of the 15th day.

Hence, there are two traditions...

Otto