Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first post ...
Shlama amkhon brothers and sisters!

This is my first time posting on this forum although I have occasionally checked in-and-out to see if anyone posted anything of special interest. I must say that from what I have read I am quite impressed with the work that Shm. Paul Younan has lead in maintaining the integrity of this wonderful website.

However, I wanted to start this posting in the "General" section because I am sure the question I am about to ask has been dealt with in the past, but here it goes.

Often when I encounter critiques of the Peshitta Primacy I almost always will hear the "St. Matthew quoted the Septuagint" in his account of the birth of Christ. What is the response to that assertion by the Peshitta Primacists?

Thanks!
Shlama,

welcome!! i haven't checked that, but i certainly will now.

interestingly, just yesterday i was working on a personal translation of the Peshitta's book of Ephesians, and i ran across a passage quoted from Psalms about Messiah "leading captivity captive," and the Greek text doesn't align with the Septuagint's rendering in that passage. i went back to the Peshitta A"NK to see that reading, and the Aramaic is the same as the quote from Ephesians. when compared to the Aramaic, it actually becomes evident that that particular Greek quote would have had to have arisen by being translated from the Peshitta's Ephesians passage, and not the other way around, since the Greek itself doesn't align with the Septuagint. i was planning on posting my find here, because i think it is an excellent example of "which text came first." hopefully i'll have more time later on today to do that.

that stated, i think this area of source-quoting / alignment is a very meaningful and powerful area to study. more needs to be done here.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
I believe that the Greek translators of the original Areamaic New Testament aligned their translation with the Greek Septuagint since that was the version of the Old Testament with which they were familiar. Hence, when it seemed appropriate to them they used the Septuagint Greek wording as part of their interpretative translation of the Aramaic New Testament text.

In conrtasrt, the Peshitta tends to agree with the Aramaic Old Testament.

Otto