Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acts 23:23 right handed spearmen
The Aramaic text of Acts 23:23 has a detail which struck me today.

The Greek text just tells us how many and which type of soldiers were required to get Paul out of danger.
The Aramaic text tells us that 200 RIGHT-handed spearmen were required. THe Greek omits this.

AFter some research, I found out that good spearmen are trained to throw left as well, to get an even strength of muscles in the body. (This avoids problems)
However, this detail seems to say: "Don't mix up left handed spearmen with right handed."
(The mix up of right handed and left handed soldiers, could cause casualties at the own army in battle, I believe)

I believe that a military expert would recognize the importance of such instruction.

The Greek does not explain the Aramaic detail. However, the Greek can be explained by the Aramaic. It seems that 'Zorba' just forgot to translate that detail.
distazo Wrote:The Greek does not explain the Aramaic detail. However, the Greek can be explained by the Aramaic. It seems that 'Zorba' just forgot to translate that detail.

I think I agree. the is no explanation , I can think of, as to why an Aramaic translation from Greek would add this information.