Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John 14?17 - Present of Future tense
[b][i]Hello NT Aramaic lovers,

In Paul Younan's interlinear in John 14:17 it says, "The SP. of truth who the world is not able to recieve because it has seen Him not nor does know Him. But you know Him , for with you He dwells and IN you [is]."

My question regards the very last word of this word - "is." In Younan's interlinear it has been bracketed as not in the original Aramaic. If this is so and the word "is" not in the original than may the verse be able to state -

". . .But you know Him,for with you He dwells and IN you [SHALL BE]." ??]

At the Dukhrana site, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- w --> , when downloading to this verse and going to the page where the grammatical breakdown is located the word "is" does seem to be present as you can see this is the last word at the bottom of the page.

Here it is again: Must the reading of John 14:17 be rendered, ". . . But you know Him for with you He dwells and in you IS." Younan's interlinear does not have this in the original but Dukhrana seems to show that it is included.

Thank you folks. I will be thanking you for any input.

Kindly,

Mike K.
Hello Mike

I am not yet an expert in Aramaic, only a beginner, but it does not look like future tense to me. It looks very much like present tense.

At first I wasn't sure why you were asking, but I can see the significance now, since the standard answer you may hear about this is that the disciples did not have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them till after the resurrection when Messiah breathed on them and said receive ye the Spirit.

Is this what has prompted you to ask?
This pronoun has three derivations to it, with the underscore H being silent in the last 2:

HuW
HuW
HW

The word you are asking about is HuW 5030. Ask 3 different people and you may get 3 different opinions, but my current take on it would be: and-in-you he-be. Regarding tense, I think that he-be, which is essentially an independent pronoun, would be more-or-less tense-less, until you move into the verb form of the root.