Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question About the usage of the term PQD
Shlama,

In 1st Corinthians 11:2 and 2nd Thessalonians 2:15, the word [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0ndqwp[/font] is used, and Murdock and Etheridge both translate it as ???precepts.???

The majority of instances of this word, however, as found in the Gospels, are rightfully translated as ???commandments.???

My question is would it be better to translate it as ???commandments??? in these two instances as opposed to the aforementioned ???precepts,??? or even ???traditions/ordinances,??? as the Greek normally is rendered?

if it would be more consistent to do this, would the meaning of the two above passages take on a different light (ie, meaning the Torah)? this would make the most sense to me, but i would very much appreciate the thoughts of others on this.

Chayim b???Moshiach,
Jeremy
Shlama Jeremy,

Good question. Looking at Bauscher???s rendering in his interlinear, he renders poqadona as commandments, rightly. This is what fits the text, and this is what the text means.

Akhan Andrew covers the usages of aurayta, namusa, poqda/poqadona, and their counterpart namusa d???poqda b???poqadonhi in his Path to Life monograph, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnttruth.org/downloads/ThePathtoLife.pdf">http://aramaicnttruth.org/downloads/ThePathtoLife.pdf</a><!-- m --> .

Start with p.7 which covers poqadona (or p.5 which begins the chapter on all these words), and use the PDF Search tool to track your word through his entire essay. This is what I do. It???s great stuff ??? I believe you???ll really enjoy it!

Just a guess, but I figure you might also be interested in similar coverage of a related situation in Matthew 23. In the Nazarene forum, dated Sat. April 26, 2008, titled ???Matt. 23???, I think you might be interested by the first few or so posts (I don???t know how to hyperlink specific threads here, sorry).

BTW, the quick answer to your question is that ???precepts??? would work only if the English reader immediately interprets this to refer to ???commandments???. So the best English rendering is undoubtedly ???commandments???, so that rise is not given to the idea of ???dogma???, ???ordinances???, or otherwise. On p.8 Andrew says, ???The word poqda, sometimes also rendered as poqadona, is the direct cognate of mitzvah ??? the Hebrew word used to denote the commandments of YHWH???. I believe this is the answer you were looking for?

Blessings my friend,

Ryan