Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apologies to Andrew Roth
My name is Daniel if you havent remembered by now. Multiple times I have questioned you about the underlying text of MARI, its accuracy, the Western Five, the adulterous woman (pericopa something), etc. etc. and as I was browsing the forum just now, I came across your posting under "Whats Wrong with the Bauscher Codes?" (also started by me)...

Quote:So, does Mari talk about and compare the Peshitta and Greek on this passage? Of course it does. But do I add to the Aramaic later readings and pretend they are originals and promote a known artificiality as a Masorah?--NO WAY. I must keep the base Aramaic text as pure as I know how, but I am equally determined to discuss all major variants in the NT--and this is definitely a big one--in a way that allows the reader to make up his or her own mind. I think I have balanced these desires that may never be resolved and are somewhat in opposition to one another, though not always.

So I guess what I am saying is that if the choice is between explaining the record accurately and what I am comfortable with or know others are comfortable with, then comfort must be sacrificed for the sake of consistency. Sorry but that's just how it is.

How very true. You have put so much effort into trying to support truth, and where truth doesnt satisfy the vast majority (such as myself) asking for a perfect autograph text, you are at least honest enough to admit it. So, in saying that, I apologize for bugging you about your text and your efforts because I realize there is only so much that YOU as an individual can do. What is original, you have in MARI. What isnt, you may include, but you're honest enough to let us know that it isn't, unlike many other translators who leave the public out in the dark. Ive been ripped off by Trimm by purchasing his 60 dollar HRV and also by Bauscher for basing his codes on something that doesnt use proper logic, but supports universalism and Protestantism. (No disrespect intended to Dave for his work though, though, I'm just disappointed about his false promises for a perfect text.)

Like I said before, I'm a young 21 year old college student who went from being totally apathetic to religion, to Protesant Christan, and finally to Torah-observant and hebraically thinking (although my practice is not very good, I should admit that now lest I sound like a Pharisical hypocrite), and MARI is actually the perfect thing for me. Its culturally Hebraic, its Torah-observant, and its based on the best texts that history itself can provide. (And like I said before, whenever there is an issue regarding the text, you make sure to let us know.) So, my apologies for STRAINING AT THE GNAT like I usually do while swallowing camels, and thank you so much for your work as a scholar, and I will SURELY purchase MARI when I can afford it.

Messages In This Thread
My Apologies to Andrew Roth - by rungold315 - 10-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Re: My Apologies to Andrew Roth - by rungold315 - 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM