Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelation Good case for Aramaic Primacy?? Come on now
Yiasou Michali, ti kanis?

I don't blame you for your zeal and for your concern, indeed "i Elines" are going to be the most hesitant to embrace Aramaic primacy. For 100s of years we've been taught, that the NT was composed by the apostles in our language, and we've been very proud of this "heritage". And then our Aramaic breathren had to come and "ruin the party" announcing to us "Now just wait a minute! There's a lot that you westerners don't know!" And they're right, there is a lot that we don't know because of centuries of isolation. Our Aramaic brethren from Mesopotamia and Persia deserve to have their case considered.

My position is a mix of "Peshitta Primacy" and "Aramaic Primacy". I believe that the 22 book cannon of the CoE, is indeed the originals of those books. Where the Western Five are concerned, I hold the view of Andrew Gabriel Roth, that Aramaic originals for those books did exist, and the Greek versions are translated from them, though these originals haven't survived, or we haven't found them yet. But I'm a bit more optimistic about these things, after all the Dead Sea Scrolls, which remain the greatest Biblical archaeological find to date, were discovered at Qumran less than 100 years ago. I have a feeling that it's still too early for Greek primacists to set their view in stone, I believe that we're going to be in for some more discoveries in the near future, as the Aramaic Primacy School develops.

That's my thoughts for now.

Xeretismata,
Xristina.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Revelation Good case for Aramaic Primacy?? Come on now - by Christina - 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM