Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13
Hello everyone. I did somewhat of a quick word study on the "Promise" of the Holy S. in Ephesians 1:13 to see if it was the same Aramaic word for "Promise" in Acts 2:33 ; Acts 2:39 ; and Galatians 3:14. It apparantly is not. According to the Greek texts of the New Testament when it comes to the term of "Promise" of the Holy S. the word is the same so that the Promise mentioned in Acts 2:33; Acts 2:39 ; Luke 24:49; and Galatians 3:14 is the same as Ephesians 1:13. Now I can not read the Aramaic although I can read the Greek. But is the word for "Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 (in Aramaic manuscripts) related to the same concept in Acts 2:33; Acts 2:39; Galatians 3:14 and Luke 24:49 for that matter?? What is going on here?? Is it the same root word. And also I would like to ask to be sure: it appears the word for "Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 (now to be precise it is actually "promised") only is located and written in Ephesians 1:13. I could not find the word used anywhere else in the Aramaic other than Eph. 1:13. thank-you very much.

Cordially

Mike Karoules
Shlama Akhi Mike,

I'm going to quote from Janet M. Magiera's "Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Translation with Explanatory Footnotes Marking Variant Readings, Customs, and Figures of Speech."

If truth be told, this is really the Western PeshittO, instead of the Eastern Peshitta, which I think Janet Magiera should have been clearer on. Perhaps somebody else who reads Syriac can quote the Eastern Peshitta text for you, but let me give you these English readings from Magiera's translation.

Ephesians 1:13 says, "In him also, you heard the word of truthfulness, which is the gospel of your life, and in him, you believed and you were sealed with the Holy Spirit that was promised."

Acts 2:33 reads, "And this is he who is elevated at the right hand of God and received from the Father the promise concerning the Holy Spirit. And he has poured out this gift that behold you see and hear."

Acts 2:39 reads, "For the promise is to you and to your children and to all those who are far away, those whom God will call."

Galatians 3:14 reads, "The blessing of Abraham would be on the Gentiles by Jesus Christ and that we would receive the promise of the Spirit by faith."

Luke 24:49 reads, "And when those who were with him saw what happened, they said to him, 'Our Lord, should we strike them with swords?'"

I see no where in (Magiera's) Luke 24:49 that the word "promise" resides.

The P'shitta New Covenant is similiar to the Byzantine New Testament in many respects (but by no means are they the same text), have you checked the Byzantine NT for these verses?

That might give you other leads.......but I'm not certain.

I hope that this helps until someone else can give you the text's directly from the Eastern Syriac NT.

Shlama, Albion
PROMISE
A. [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Ydw0[/font] au-di (vb.) confess, profess
Ac 7:17 when the time of p was at hand
B. [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0nklwm[/font] mul-ka-na (m.)
Lu 24 49 I will send you p of my Father
Ro 4 14 and the p made of no effect
Eph 2:12 strangers to the covenants and p
Heb 4:1 the p of entering into rest remains
C. [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]<lm [/font] malk (vb.) to counsel, advise
Eph 1:13 sealed with Holy Spirit that was p
D. [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Mwq[/font] qaum (vb.) appoint, raise
Mat 26:15 they p him thirty pieces of silver
E. [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] 0yrww4 [/font] shu-ra-ya (m.)
Ac 1:4 to wait for the p of the Father
1 Ti 4:8 having p of life that now is
Heb 8:6 so are the p greater than those

[From: The Deluxe Study Edition of the Modern New Testament from the Aramaic by Dr. George M. Lamsa, with New Testament Origin, Comparative Bible Verses, and A Compact English-Aramaic Concordance, Copyright ?? 2001, The Aramaic Bible Society, Daniel Jon Mahar; The Modern New Testament Copyright ?? 1933, 1940.]
Note: I copied this and set the Atamaic font, so I may not have gotten all the Aramaic characters correct.

Otto
Shlama all---

The word for PROMISE in Ephesians 1:13 is MOLKANA. It is one of 3 terms for promise that Rav Shaul likes to use.

The Eastern and Western versions read exactly the same, and I have translated it as:

In whom you also have heard the Word of Truth which is the Good News of your life, and have believed in him; and have been sealed with the Ruach haKodesh who has been PROMISED.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
August 11, 2008

The Peshitta text under Tools-Word Docs of peshitta.org has the word [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0kylm[/font] in Ephesians 1:13.

Is this a misspelling?

Otto
Shlama Akhi Otto, yes there was a typo but it was mine, as I meant to write MALIYKA. Same meaning though.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
For Ephesians 1:13 I was studying and receieved all of my information from dukhrana's web site. Yes, the text was Luke 24:49, Acts 1:4, Acts 2:33 , Eph 1:13 and Acts 2:39. Let me put it simpler. Are all these words for "Promise" all from the same base or root word??

tks
Mike
Hey folks. Sorry, but I was in a bit of a hurry my last reply and made a quick comment and question. It goes back to Ephesians 1:13 and really a study of the Holy S. when it is associated with the word "Promise" like in Acts 2:33, Acts 2:39, Luke 24:49(". . . lo, I send the Promise of my Father on you. . .") Acts 1:4 , Ephesians 1:13 and Galatians 3:14.

It appears that we may be dealing with two different words here but the same concept. Well, for example, the word for "Promise" in Luke 24:49 is not the same as in Acts 1:4 but Yeshua is apparantly talking about the same thing. Remember, you are dealing with someone that very well may be making a transition from Greek to Aramaic.

(1) Is the nature of Aramaic more/much more inflected language than that of Greek?? About the same??

(2) About the "Promise:" Can we tell from the Aramaic in Galatians 3:14 if Paul is talking in reference to the Holy S. Himself or that which the Holy S. gives?? Here is my Greek translation into English: ". . .that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Messiah Yeshua, that we might receive the PROMISE of the Sp. through faith." In the Greek text this question is debated. I once pointed this out to a preacher that we receive the Holy S. Himself who comes and lives inside upon our faith in Yeshua. But he made the argument that here (Gal 3:16) it is not the Holy S. Himself but that which the Holy Sp. gives. Without confusing anyone I am wondering if the Aramaic text would be clearer on this and give us a definite answer. ??

(3) In having a pretty good access now to the Aramaic concordance and checking out common root words in different passages I sure do notice alot of differences in spelling for just one word. I mean, in doing a word study and seeing elsewhere a particular word would be in other passages(mainly not neccessarily the same exact word but the same base word or root word) I notice differences in the way these words are spelled in Aramaic (albeit having the same root word) and yet, for example if the morpholigical break down is practically identical am I pretty safe that this is the same word and WORD MEANING?? If I should study a word like "abide" and locate where in all the other passages this same word appears at its ROOT level and yet it is spelled differently but yet with the same morphilogical breakdown am I safe to say that it is the same Word?? Example With "abide" (3rd person - Masculine - Plural. Active Participle - Paiel) and going to another passage for "abide" with a different number and the spelling is different (sometimes by 2 or 3 letters) but yet the only morpholigical difference would be (2nd person - Masculine - Plural. Active Participle - Paiel) am I safe to say this is the same word or word meaning?? And I hope I have not confused anyone here. My querstion here could be related to questiion #1 in how much the Aramaic is an inflected language. This will further help me to do word studies on Steve's site and be sure that I am looking at the same words (in Aramaic) in different passages. Thank you so much.

Cordially,

Mike Karoules
Atlanta, Georgia area